DIY RGB for Beginners - Fasteddys RGB info & links

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Attached is a PDF file that shows you my personal preferences with using RGB lighting. My preferences are based on personal experiences from the 2010 season and cost of hardware.
There are different options available which are not listed but for me the gear that is in the attachment is what i have used for my 2010 show and with a season of use I have been very happy with the performance and effect created.

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• RGB info v1.1.pdf
    305.4 KB · Views: 1,605

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Great stuff Eddy as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and this has answered many questions for me that would have come up for 2011

XDU

Full time elf
Lets get back on track guys.

Thanks Eddie for taking the time to document your setup.
I am sure many will benefit from your efforts.

daunce

Full time elf
Thanks Ed. It's good to see how it all plugs together.

Very informative.

(The weblinks on RGB Strip and RGB Digital 8803 Strip go to the same page.)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
brunnesa said:
How do I buy a TP3244 Pixel Controller?

These should be available during 2011 as either a group buy or as store stock. But then Phil would be the one who would have the definate answer

taybrynn

Apprentice elf
Thanks for doing this, its extremely helpful and well done!

Are there any particular pros/cons to using one controller type vs. the other? It appears that the more expensive controller has less expensive RGB lights, is this an advantage of going with the DC controller vs. the PIXEL controller?

Thx again,
Scott

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
taybrynn said:
Thanks for doing this, its extremely helpful and well done!

Are there any particular pros/cons to using one controller type vs. the other? It appears that the more expensive controller has less expensive RGB lights, is this an advantage of going with the DC controller vs. the PIXEL controller?

Thx again,
Scott

They are very different controllers, the DC controller requires you to wire back to the controller each section/element just as you would with AC controllers these control a whole string/strip as one

The pixel controller allows individual control of sections using the pixel based strips and strings, so for example a 5 metre digital strip is divided into 50 individual sections that can have colour and intensity controlled individually to each 100mm section so there is actually 150 channels (50 red, 50 green and 50 blue channels to control) That is the reason the lights are more expensive as each section/LEDs has its own chip thats the controller talks to. It uses data communication to instead control the lights instead of using the traditional method of using individual channels from a board

Both have their pros and cons depending on what you want to achieve and what you want to use it for. In the end your budget will determine what ratio of standard RGB lights compared to what digital pixel based lights you will need.

artzy

artzy-Noble Christmas
To Break this down for a simple person (me) each string needs a TP3244 controller and 4 of these plug into a EthCon Gateway, is that right. I am looking at doing a pixel mega tree with 32 strings of 65 pixels