DJ Gra's excuse for a display

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just shy of 12 months I have been an ACL member, and I've loved every second of it. I've finally found out how all those houses do it, make their lights flash & "dance" to the music - and it seems somewhat easy - I could do that!

Famous. Last. Words.

My display this year is static, just like the 5 or so years before it. And its only got 50% of the fixtures I had out last year. Why? Time & focus have just lapsed for me this last month. I've got the lights. I've (hopefully) got all the gear. When it came to the crunch, I started far too late, had too many commitments already in Nov/Dec to adhere to, plus my wife is about to give birth to our 2nd child literally any day now, so I've been looking after her & our 2.5 year old as much as possible.

So for now, this is all I got: http://evanschristmaslights.weebly.com/1/post/2012/12/lights-on-however.html
Feel free to read, laugh & point, but rest assured, all the ideas I've had over the past 6-9 months on building up a great display will most surely go ahead next year, just you wait!*

*(again, famous last words?!)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
All that counts is you made the effort regardless of how much lights you have. There is always next year

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've been there before. Life happens. Don't sweat it.

Sounds like excitement of a different kind is just around the corner. :)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I'm almost in the exact same boat, except my wife is due for our fifth child in March.

Just enjoy what you managed to do, I only have one song very simply sequenced despite grand expectations for my display. The kids will still stop and look at your lights and be amazed anyway and that is what it is all about.

Don't forget to enjoy the Christmas season :)

Bird

LOR user
I think we've all been there at some time or other.
It will get to where you want eventually so don't worry.
This year I also have a little less put out than I did last year even though I now have more than twice as much as last year (it's all in storage).
FYI .. I like the Santa on the bench. :)

penguineer

Full time elf
I wouldn't worry about it.

Last year I had ideas of doing my first animated display - I had controllers and light strings ready to go, had played with the sequencing software so I knew how to drive it.....and had to put the whole thing on hold because we had our deck rebuilt at the start of December - so nowhere to hang the lights. Add in a few "funnies" with work.....

I ended up scrambling to scrape together enough un-modded BigW light strings to just do the house and salvage what I could of the bits I hadn't yet thrown out from previous displays so I could light up the last two weeks of December......

The local kids still liked it - anything colourful and Christmassy and where you've put the effort in goes down well.

I ended up more ready to do things this year - I ended up with a better display due to an extra 12 months to think about things and make my evil plans.......from the looks of your comments on the photos you already have a list that you're checking twice.......

It's not an end - just a step towards next years display.......

Cheers and good luck with the new arrival!

kel

Dedicated elf
work5.gif

ewanh

what goes here?
Mine is not even worth the photo or post......

My excuses are the same, except for the second child bit.....

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
wack the ipod in your ears and got out the front and blink a lot at it will look like its all sequenced lol

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Stick with it guys, you'll get there, I thought I was in the same boat, xmas came far too early :)
Luckily I could find the time to get mine up.
Just remember helps never far away ;) :D