DMX laser machine quandry

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yeah, I would not be plugging a laser into the LOR 240V output.

Maybe put the laser aside for now and come back to it once you have everything else running in DMX mode.

It might be that the issue is simple but is being overlooked at the moment.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Good news everyone, got the laser working!!! lol

I wont be able to tell until tonight whether its still a smaller scope like that first video that i uploaded but hey....got the silly thing working again.

Oddly the options of Mode are:

0-63 - Cut off
64-127 - Automatic
128-191 - Sound active
192-255 - DMX pattern

I would have thought it was the DMX pattern I was going for but have gone through random numbers between 192-255 and nothing, nada.

Its only working on Automatic.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Excellent news, laser is going at full brightness and spectrum :):):)

Next mission is figuring out where to put it. It could be approx 30m away from the DC48 so I may have to look at using Cat6 cable again to get the data that kind of distance the way I did with my spiral tree?

The power plug will be going into 240v garage socket which is only around 10m away from laser.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Well done shell. There's no real need to change to cat6 cable as dmx data isn't real fast and you're not pumping any great current through the cable so you don't need the thicker conductors of cat6. DMX is designed to go up to 1.2km and I know that here I probably have close to 250m in total length with a couple of 30m runs between controllers.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Woooohoo Alan, thats great news as I have over 50m of Cat5 cable still here unused :)

Will give it a wizz and video tonight when its dark :) Ive decided to put the laser on the side of the house as that way it hopefully wont shine over the rest of my lights ;)
Laserplacement.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
If you're not using 1 of the garage decor thingies then you could just about project from behind your letterbox onto the garage door. The car would have to go though :)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yeh that was my orig idea but yep there are actually 2 cars that park there. Plus my other problem of keeping the beams contained within an area.

Im gonna make a long Cat5e cable now and try it both sides of the house tonight and see which looks better.