DMX model help needed

BallaratLights

New elf
Repost - I posted to wrong board
Can anyone help.
I need to create a model to control relays via DMX. Start address is settable via Dip switch on board. The controller has three (or another model 12) consecutive channels. Each channel controls a relay. If output is 0 -- 127 Relay is open. If 128 -- 255 relay is closed.
Is it possible to restrict outputs to two discrete values eg 60 or 200? How can I get model to show one colour when on and a second colour when off?

I would love to be able to program this myself but I do not speak C++

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Just create a single string. Set node could to 1 and set string type to single colour white. Then just drop white on effects wherever you want the relay to turn on.

jjBrisvegas

New elf
I have a number of DMX relays I use to control the more aged lights I have (or had as of this year ;-) so I use the moving head model set to show Moving Head Bars which works nicely also - just set to one DMX channel where 0=off and 255=on. For other devices (like DMX floods) and dependent on your device it can accept values between 0 and 255. For those devices that display colours (like my tune to sign) I add a single node strand as Keith suggested above. Happy to share more if needed.

BallaratLights

New elf
Thanks guys. Have been using the moving head model but the single line is great as well.
Now I can set up for one channel the problem is how to set up for more outputs. I mentioned my controller is three channel and I may go for a 12 channel unit as i have a lot of old floods and spots.. Although the DMX model can be set as 13 channels only 8 can be set to a channel number.. The others have different choices available.

Also having issues with Moving head lights and dmx floods. There may be a problem with my E1.31 / DMX bridge. .

jjBrisvegas

New elf
I have to admit I have had several issues with 2 of my 3 E1.31-DMX bridges and ended up just re-configuring them. When you say the model can only have 8 channels set to a channel number, what did you mean? I have a 27 channel unit I also use for 9 dumb strings and have set all of those in my model.
I was also curious why the discreet values for relays - generally they are on or off.

BallaratLights

New elf
When I first hooked it up I got the web page and all info was per the book. Played around for a few days but could not get things working (Moving head / flood / relay controller )
Thought I would check configuration but when I tied to get webpage up it would either hang or mag "you are not connected to network".

For testing I am running on dedicated laptop with PC >>>> Bridge >>>> DMX fitting

Looking at the DMX model in layout there-are two pan channels can be set then Pan degrees rotation & pan slew limit Can these be set as channels? Similar with Tilt 2 channels then two special channels. 4 colour channels plus shutter channel then two specials /shutter threshold and beam length, So out of 15 properties only 9 seem available as channels.

How do you define 27? ( I have four of thees for dumb strings as well - singing faces.)

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Reading back over your posts I am really confused. You seem to be conflating your controller with your models. I would concentrate on your models in the first instance. If you have 3 floods then add 3 floods either using the single line model or the flood light version of the DMX model. Create them individually and then create an output of the appropriate type for your controller. If you are using a E131->DMX bridge then create an E131 output with the right number of channels and then map each of your models to the right channel on that controller. Go into test mode and verify it works as expected.

If you truly have a moving head then add it using the DMX model. Set the right number of channels for the mode the head is in and map the characteristics that are there. Also name the nodes so you know what channel is what when it comes to sequencing ... including any we dont have specific properties for. Be aware most moving heads have a shutter channel that needs to be turned on before the light will do anything. When it comes time to sequence the model double click on its name and the strand and you will have access to all the model channels.

If i have this all wrong then maybe you want to share some screen shots to show us what you actually have set up.

jjBrisvegas

New elf
Thanks Keith, you beat me to it. @BallaratLights the most simple explanation to add is that for every DMX channel available on your device, you can have a corresponding xLights channel - each with an allowed DMX value of 0-255.
As an example:-
I have a moving head device.
It has 8 channels that control colour, brightness, gobo, etc and is programmed as DMX channel 1.
In XLights Layout I have created a moving head model and allocated it to Universe 1, channels 1-8.
I have named each of those channel with their corresponding function so when it is paced in the scheduler you can easily apply a value to each of those channels.
If I add a 3 channel flood to the Layout it will be programmed as channel DMX channel 9 and create a model with 3 channels in XLights in Universe 1 starting at channel 9.
In the Scheduler I then would be assigning values to channels 9, 10, and 11 to manipulate the floodlight (in most cases that translates to RGB) but XLights is so dynamic that can be easily changed in the software.
One other thing to note is that most E1.31 to DMX bridges are multicast and not unicast. Whilst you can, and need to, assign the device a static IP address, in XLights it needs to be set as a multicast type device.