DMX2-24 - Interesting Flickering

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Word on the street from someone who had previously seen an interesting flicker is that the firmware change fixed the issue.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I had a few scenarios before where I was able to "force" the issue more so, and less so, based on the DMX frame-rate and source.
Testing tomorrow will involve using the USB-DMX adaptor and changing frame rates etc. And also driving it from the F16v4.

With that in mind, the quick testing I did today after switching the firmware is showing that it's looking good.
That was with an ESPixelStick in DMX mode driving it from E1.31 traffic (my show box)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
All my testing with the new firmware was successful. Very happy with the outcome. Just got my box installed today, was going to do a "Christmas" final test but then the stupid dog decided to run in there and rip a few of the fairy light cables. Idiot. @AAH out of interest, do you have any malec pigtails, or should I chop up some extensions?

In regards to the DMX2 board, If anyone in Sydney area needs their updated, please drop me a note here and we can make some arrangement. Happy to flash a few boards before sending the programmer back to Alan.

AAH

All my testing with the new firmware was successful. Very happy with the outcome. Just got my box installed today, was going to do a "Christmas" final test but then the stupid dog decided to run in there and rip a few of the fairy light cables. Idiot. @AAH out of interest, do you have any malec pigtails, or should I chop up some extensions?

In regards to the DMX2 board, If anyone in Sydney area needs their updated, please drop me a note here and we can make some arrangement. Happy to flash a few boards before sending the programmer back to Alan.
I have no male pigtails. Female pigtails as well as 3m and 10m extension cables.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have no male pigtails. Female pigtails as well as 3m and 10m extension cables.
All good. I'll use an extension and keep the other half as a warning to the dog next time he tries the same thing 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: AAH

AAH

@AAH Where can I locate the HEX file? I can see the instructions on your website, however I can't locate the actual hex file.

Cheers
Simon
Hi Simo
Hex file is at https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/DMX2-24-ver-1.1.zip . On some boards it's necessary to turn on the classic switch due to a silicon issue with some versions of the PIC16F884 processor. For that same reason some boards have PIC16F886 processors on them. The silicon issue had me pulling out my hair by the handful. I had no idea why some boards with the exact same processor would program successfully and some wouldn't. I can't recall if it was David_AVD or massive web searching that led me to finding a note in the errata for the PIC16F884. First time I'd ever been burnt by errata info for a Pic processor and frustratingly I'd used hundreds of these processors over a number of years on a number of different boards and sourced from a number of different suppliers. 1 batch out of the hundreds that I've used happened to be the silicon version with the bug.
Update the firmware tab on DMX2-24 product page as well.

1698570498057.png

Juddge

Apprentice elf
i may have the same issue - my DMX2-24 when on one colour only - the lights twikle instead of staying on 100%
or would this be because im currently running them on 28Vdc instead of 34V dc as my 34V supply has not arrived yet

AAH

i may have the same issue - my DMX2-24 when on one colour only - the lights twikle instead of staying on 100%
or would this be because im currently running them on 28Vdc instead of 34V dc as my 34V supply has not arrived yet
The issue should be the cause of what you are seeing. Using a 28V supply will only affect the brightness and in reality that probably isn't a whole lot. A 28V power supply probably has an adjustment range that would allow it to be wound up to close to 31V.

I have been working on how I can get the updated firmware into the affected boards. Currently I have the firmware and several Pic programmers here that I use and Skymaster has a programmed Pickit that I have considered asking him to send on a circuit of Australia. I looked at buying a bunch of PicKit's because at 1 stage the clones were really cheap on ebay and Aliexpress. They have now gone up somewhat in price and there's only so many that you really need.

darylc

404 darylc not found
So what is the solution for customers with this problem, contact you for a postage label to send it back to you for fix?

fuzbat

New elf
In theory I should be able to flash the firmware if anyone is in/near the Canberra region - I'm currently away but will do my two boards when I'm back in a couple of days.

Reactions: AAH

AAH

So what is the solution for customers with this problem, contact you for a postage label to send it back to you for fix?
Initially the customer with the problem was Skymaster. So far it's only been the users in this thread and 1 via email who has made me aware that they have the problem. Many others using the board (including myself) didn't notice the problem or have a firmware that didn't have the issue. I think the issue came about when I had a crash migrating from 1 laptop to another and the working source code got replaced.
My ideal solution would be to get a programmed PicKit3 to each person with an affected board as all they have to do is plug the PicKit onto the DMX2-24 and press the button on the PicKit and about 2s later the new firmware is installed. There is no need to remove the board from where it is mounted, no need to undo the 26 screw terminals and then redo them again. My 2nd solution is to send out replacement boards with satchels included and do a changeover of the boards. My only issue with the 2nd solution is that all of the boards have to be removed from service which is nowhere near as easy as plugging in a programmer and pressing the button. I could care less about sending out swapover boards, my concern has been for customer convenience not having to remove the board if they don't have to. As both the PicKit 2 and 3 have been made obsolete the clones have jumped in price from about $10 each to $40. I can't find any of the clone boards for sale at remotely like the price they used to be so tomorrow I will be sending out emails to all DMX2-24 customers and ask them whether they want a changeover board sent out.