do i need a super computer for rgb or what?

candlelight

New elf
first thanks to all, this site has been most helpful with my display..

i'm using LSP 2.0, driving 300 LOR channels and 1,000 pixels using 2 of the P12 from joshua1...
the lor channels work just fine, but when i add the pixels to the mix, scheduler can't run them at all

when i open LSP, and run it that way, the animations are very choppy and even the music is choppy.., get rid of the pixels and all is well. do i need a better computer to run this or are my settings incorrect or should i just give up?? current settings are..

on joshua1 config page
speed 750 kbbs

lsp settings
effect generation interval = 100
using unicast

computer is windows 7, 64 bit
4 gb ram
amd e-300 dual core processor

using 12 universes - only 240 channels per universe
what other info would help? been trying to get this thing up and running for 2 weeks now and getting a bit frustrated..... i can upload log file if it will help...

gigogig

gigogig
im not a lor user but ill bet your proc is your problem. it might not be a problem at all with playing if you don't use any visualizer. but for sequencing youl probably need more cpu power.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
A couple of things to look at with your visualiser screen performance are the size of the picture file used this needs to be a file no bigger than 320 x 240, when playing back a sequence, the larger the preview screen is the more it can struggle and make sure your file has finished optimising before you play it back. I always turn off auto-optimise and manually do one before preview playback.
Your computer should be able to handle that, it’s is a lot bigger then mine.

candlelight

New elf
anyway to play an optimised file without scheduler? can't really have a 3 minute delay while i wait for the computer to optimise in between songs..

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I and a number of others using LSP have had the same problem I run an i7 but with about with about 5,000 pixels and the only way you will stop this is run your visualiser as a non shared and make the preview screen small. I dont necessarily believe that it is completely an LSP issue it may also tie in with your graphics card capability.

If I understand the question correctly scheduler is only used at show time and when you set up the show the sequences for the night all optimise at the start and just run back to back

Superman

Global moderator
Sorry didnt read or understand that question, thought we were talking Sequencer. Scheduler optimises when you build the show but can have a delay between each song the first time it is run. after that all is good.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
As Superman said, mine has a moderate delay between some songs (and the songs are not perfect) the first time through. After that the display is perfect, with no glitches. I advertise an 8:00 kickoff and the show actually starts at 7:45 to ensure it gets through a full run by around 8pm - last year We Will Rock You, the last song in the loop, was starting the first time just after 8pm, and the delay before it was often 2-3 minutes of blank air and no lights.

Try looping your show 2-3 times and see if the delays stop

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
To me the delay between "optimised" sequences in the LSP scheduler has absolutely NO excuse and i hope that this has been the focus and reason for the file format change that has been leaked for LSP. Having to kick off a show one full loop prior to the start time and suffer blank time whilst tracks load is poor. The fact so many people put up with it and accepted it as a work-around without yelling the house down no doubt put any performance improvement on the back burner.

In the time it took LSP scheduler to load a SINGLE sequence i could load a one HOUR show in Vixen scheduler and have it play from the very first sequence with no gaps, no errors and no further delays.

My show machine also had a near top of the line video card so saying that video card performance could be a factor in the visualiser performance is not really valid.

We have been far too forgiving of the performance issues as LSP has been the only software of choice.

I hope the current world wide beta testers hammer the performance factors to the MAX but the biggest issue i see with that is the known beta testers are also the people that managed to pull off succesful shows last year.....
Dear Testers - do us all a favour and really test the performance over and above the new features as the new features are useless if the delays, glitches etc are still in the game.

Cheers

Superman

Global moderator
AussiePhil said:
To me the delay between "optimised" sequences in the LSP scheduler has absolutely NO excuse and i hope that this has been the focus and reason for the file format change that has been leaked for LSP. Having to kick off a show one full loop prior to the start time and suffer blank time whilst tracks load is poor. The fact so many people put up with it and accepted it as a work-around without yelling the house down no doubt put any performance improvement on the back burner.

In the time it took LSP scheduler to load a SINGLE sequence i could load a one HOUR show in Vixen scheduler and have it play from the very first sequence with no gaps, no errors and no further delays.

My show machine also had a near top of the line video card so saying that video card performance could be a factor in the visualiser performance is not really valid.

We have been far too forgiving of the performance issues as LSP has been the only software of choice.

I hope the current world wide beta testers hammer the performance factors to the MAX but the biggest issue i see with that is the known beta testers are also the people that managed to pull off succesful shows last year.....
Dear Testers - do us all a favour and really test the performance over and above the new features as the new features are useless if the delays, glitches etc are still in the game.

Cheers

Whats Vixen?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Some of the new features/improvements to expect from the upcoming 2.5 version of LSP, beta should start this weekend and this will be demoed at the Brisbane mini.

We have 2 new beta testers from downunder this year and both will push LSP, Both Superman and LithgowLights both have RGB intensive displays running 1000s of channels and I believe they will give some valuable input into the beta process.

From David at LSP

fyi, just a few improvements to whet your appetite:
  • preview animation performance improved dramatically
  • we now have a zoom able preview and channel image editor.
  • system generated timings are still present, but dim timing *hints*, in active mouse mode they are only directly selectable while holding ctrl key.
  • the tree drawing tool, when split, now creates a matrix automatically.
  • Matrix maps can be used with video and macro layer transitions.
  • Macro effects consist of macro plugins that can linked and chained to perform comprehensive effect aggregates
  • Initial Macro effects will include: Plasma, Block dropper, Marquee, Color Slider, Roto zoomer, Sparkle, Image Shifter, Animation, Rings
  • Defining a macro allows the user to add one or more of the above effects to the macro effect "chain"
  • Macro effects can have one of ten filters applied to its output which can be mixed with another linked effect through one of 20 Mix modes including mask.
  • Macro effect results can be applied to a layer or a matrix, as you can imagine, the possibilities are endless.
  • sequences are now saved as zip formatted files (instead of gzip) which includes the sequence and one file for each controller.
  • one of the coolest features is controllable playback speed with auto frequency shifting... playing slow or fast maintains the correct audio *sound* no "chipmunks"(fast/high) or "monsters"(slow/low)
  • split items can be moved or deleted as one object.
  • and so much more.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Some of the new features/improvements to expect from the upcoming 2.5 version of LSP, beta should start this weekend and this will be demoed at the Brisbane mini.

We have 2 new beta testers from downunder this year and both will push LSP, Both Superman and LithgowLights both have RGB intensive displays running 1000s of channels and I believe they will give some valuable input into the beta process.

From David at LSP

fyi, just a few improvements to whet your appetite:
  • preview animation performance improved dramatically
  • we now have a zoom able preview and channel image editor.
  • system generated timings are still present, but dim timing *hints*, in active mouse mode they are only directly selectable while holding ctrl key.
  • the tree drawing tool, when split, now creates a matrix automatically.
  • Matrix maps can be used with video and macro layer transitions.
  • Macro effects consist of macro plugins that can linked and chained to perform comprehensive effect aggregates
  • Initial Macro effects will include: Plasma, Block dropper, Marquee, Color Slider, Roto zoomer, Sparkle, Image Shifter, Animation, Rings
  • Defining a macro allows the user to add one or more of the above effects to the macro effect "chain"
  • Macro effects can have one of ten filters applied to its output which can be mixed with another linked effect through one of 20 Mix modes including mask.
  • Macro effect results can be applied to a layer or a matrix, as you can imagine, the possibilities are endless.
  • sequences are now saved as zip formatted files (instead of gzip) which includes the sequence and one file for each controller.
  • one of the coolest features is controllable playback speed with auto frequency shifting... playing slow or fast maintains the correct audio *sound* no "chipmunks"(fast/high) or "monsters"(slow/low)
  • split items can be moved or deleted as one object.
  • and so much more.

mmmm,

Performance improvements for the scheduler?
Use of multiple cores to assist performance?
True background optimising?
Improved/Fixed playback issues?

Again we have a list of new features but the things that burnt any number of people last year are not addressed directly.....

candlelight

New elf
i'm a newb to LSP, but been programming lights for about 4 years now (previously with LOR) and i tend to agree, the features and all that fancy stuff with LSP are absolutely great but mean absolutely nothing without something that can run the show without issue.

my show's a little different, my show runs only once a night, and people are sitting at tables well before the start of the show(an hour or two). So looping the show really isn't an option, and people get confused and think the show is over when there is a 2 minute delay in between songs....

version 1 i understand the delay, but with the updates and feature enhancements into version 2, there is no excuse for not putting time in to fix the issues with actually playing the show.. Its a great program, I just wished it worked :(

i'll try to come up with some crazy schedule tommorow where scheduler plays the show 2 hours before start time and then has a "blank" song for 2 hours before it loops.... seems kinda silly though...

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
LSP worked Just fine for me last year with 6000 channels some others did have problems with slightly larger numbers of channels but that was as a result of miss information given to that they have since become aware of.

There is always the war of the sequencing software going on here and it will probably continue to go on as long as there is more than on piece of software available