Doubling up channels

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Does anybody know if it is safe to double up a set of channels, if the load is greater than what is rated for 1 single channel. Thinking about using RayWu's 27 channel dmx dc board which is only rated at 1amp per channel. I have one set of RGB channels that will pull 1.2 amps per color. Wondering of I can just double up the channels (parallel the channels on the board) and in my sequence, just duplicate those channels to the doubled up one, and split the load?

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
IMHO i would say not. who knows if PWM is in synch etc. you could be really asking for it.

Can you just split the load and then double up (in essence) by supplying half the string from each output and doubling up logically like you planned.

-Ed

or drive an external FET for higher power

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Duplicating channels would be fraught with danger. It would be much safer to either limit the number of channels so that the 1A per channel average is maintained. If it is only a few channels that are going to be 1.2A maximum you should be able to ignore the excess pretty much. Leaving every 2nd channel unused would drop the current below the average and will help to keep things cool. I haven't got my 27ch boards yet (due this week) so I can't have a fiddle to confirm that. Mosfets are pretty forgiving when it comes to pulsing overloads so as long as you're not leaving the channel on at 1.2amps continuous for minutes at a time you shouldn't have any problems.