E1.31 and Lightorama help

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi,
I'm a newbie and need some advice from the pros! I have 2 lightorama controllers I bought this year but after further research it looks like E1.31 and RGB lights are the way to take my display to the next level. What controller is the preferred controller to run with LOR? I also wanted ot get some sample LEDs strips and strings to look at to see which would look best in my windows and roof lines...etc. Seems like everyone orders from Ray Wu? What LEDs should I get to play with and sample before I buy them for all my windows. Think I want to go with the intelligent RGB so I can control each pixel.
I would also like to verify I understand the setup correctly. E1.31 will not take up any channels on my LOR and I would just need a dongle or something for LOR to talk to the E1.31 controller?
Thanks,
Pete

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Im a noobie as well bare in mind but have jumped well and truly into the deep end :)

Your LOR controllers will continue to run the way they are, with the usb dongle out of PC.

To run pixels you will need a pixel controller, the majority of us here at ACL tend to steer towards the j1sys products here: http://www.j1sys.com

You basically have many options but the 2 that I would see best for you are the ECG-P2 or the ECG-P12R.
The ECG-P2 has 2 outputs for pixels, each one universe, but any day now there will be an update that will give us 4 universes per output. That means it will be capable of running 1360 pixels (4080 chans). These controllers are generally used where there are pixels spread in different places on your property.

The ECG-P12R is more of a centralised controller thats great for things like megatrees etc where a lot of pixels are in one place, however of course with cable they can go anywhere. These have 12 universes (as opposed to p2's 8 universes). Capable of running 2040 pixels (6120 chans).

The comparisons are here thanks to Eddy:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2423.0;attach=2666

The WS2811 pixel strings/strips are very popular due to the pricing, great value for money. We do tend to use Ray Wu a lot.

Strings - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/promotion-WS2811-IP68-led-pixel-module-256scale-gray-IP68-3wire-red-blue-black-DC5V-input-50pcs/701799_469177597.html
Note: These are 5v so you would need to get a 5v power supply which can also be found on Rays aliexpress website.

Strips - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html
These are 12v so would need 12v power supply.

E1.31 protocol means you hook up the controller direct to your PC NIC card, or if you are purchasing a few pixel controllers then you hook it into a network switch. You then go into the configuration via browser and set it up in there. You then put a few details into your Hardware configuration in LOR software and off ya go. With regards to sequence editor you setup DMX channels to sequence.

yzguy96

Full time elf
thanks for the quick response! I will look into j1sys options...I saw the sandisk ones and the sales guy said it works directly with lightorama sounds like the j1sys controllers do the same! If my windows and gutters are all in the same location then should I do the centralized controller cause everything is close?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
You do have either option of P2 or P12R or of course the sandisk ones.

I know with the P2 its best to have the first pixel within 3-4metres. If your frames are far apart you may have to inject power at different places or have a dummy/null pixel.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
To run E1.31 output from LOR you need to have LOR S3 Advanced version. All other versions of LOR S3 will not have the E1.31 and DMX output.

Refer to this thread to help you gain a bit more understanding of your requirements as your question has been asked many times ;)
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2633.0.html

and

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2514.0.html

If you havent already then download the ACL 101 Lighting manual and also the running pixels with the P12R manual. Also worth a read is the E1.31 presentation that should give you a basic understanding of what is E1.31 and how it connects up

Then this video will also be good in working out how to connect LOR to E1.31
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2460.0.html

Hopefully between all that you may have a chance to work some of it all out, if not then just ask some questions in the thread or jump into the chat room and ask a few questions.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok ive been reading and trying to get a supply list of things i would need to order from Ray Wu like the lights, any plugs, power etc? is the WS2811 IP68 led pixel module,256scale gray,IP68;3wire(red/blue/black)DC5V input;50pcs a string a smart string? I dont see where it says IC chip in it?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yes it is a smart string. Any lights with a little black chip in it are smart lights. In the string case you can see the little black chips in each led casing. In the strips you can see them generally spaced every 3rd LED along.

You can see comparisons in the ACL 101 manual

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok based on your recommendations and some of the post on this forum i will get:
1) ECG-P2 controller
2) strings: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/promotion-WS2811-IP68-led-pixel-module-256scale-gray-IP68-3wire-red-blue-black-DC5V-input-50pcs/701799_469177597.html
3) strips: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html
4) 12V power supply: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599951.html
This will get me started so I can see the differences and setup a simple e1.31 network. I just want to order something quickly so I have time to see which lights are best for my application. I am thinking the strings around the windows and strips on the gutters?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That will get you started, but also take note the strings are 5VDC and you only have a 12VDC power supply in your list.

To take a look at the differences between using 5VDC and 12VDC strings then refer to this thread and this. Ray doesnt seem to have the 12VDC 2811 strings, but worth asking him.

Personally i use strip for both my roof line, gutters and window outlines. Strip will give much less wash back onto the house and give a more defined clean line of light than strings. Strings will allow more light to wash back onto the house. I find using strip light with floods back onto the house allows an extra element of control by allowing you to control the colour and amount of light wash back which can be a nice effect.

But if your just getting a few things then its worth trying out both the strings and the strips so you can see what works best for you.

Note: You can tell it has an IC chip just not by the picture but by the fact it has the IC chip model used in the main sales description like 2801, 2811, 6803, 1804, 3001 ect

yzguy96

Full time elf
OK thanks...I meant to add the 5v power for the strings...the strip I think is 12v? I also didn't see the IC in the string model so I wasn't sure if they were intelligent or dumb. You answered my next question which was what people use for windows and gutters. I wanted to run the window lights inside the frame of my window so I thought strings would be better cause the strip would not be facing the outside unless I outlined the window from outside and not the inside frame...is that what most do? Do you cut the strips on the corners and make the 90 bend or is there some clever way to round the turn so I wouldn't have to cut them?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
yzguy96 said:
OK thanks...I meant to add the 5v power for the strings...the strip I think is 12v? I also didn't see the IC in the string model so I wasn't sure if they were intelligent or dumb. You answered my next question which was what people use for windows and gutters. I wanted to run the window lights inside the frame of my window so I thought strings would be better cause the strip would not be facing the outside unless I outlined the window from outside and not the inside frame...is that what most do? Do you cut the strips on the corners and make the 90 bend or is there some clever way to round the turn so I wouldn't have to cut them?

I have just cut mine and rejoin with a little wire. I have the strip facing outwards. If cutting the strip and soldering on wires is a bit daunting then you can get 90 degree elbows, i would aks Ray Wu at his online shop if he has any of the 3 pin 90 degrees bend type available.

Or you can do what Shell has suggested

yzguy96

Full time elf
Anyone else have problems with Ray Wu? I ordered last Sat and he just mailed it out yesterday? Kept giveing me the run around then fake tracking numbers until finally he gave me the right tracking number? Also how much is typically shipping? He charged me $60 for what FedEx shows as 13 lbs. Is 6 strips, 6 strings, 2 power adapters and some pigtails 13lbs?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Sounds about right to me yzguy. The strips are light but the strings, pigtails and power supplies arent.

Ive done around 5 orders from Ray, 3 of them were fast to get out, 2 of them took a week to get out the door, it depends on stock.

Ray is tried and trusted by members here at ACL. I along with most others completely trust him.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok, he apologized and said it was his mistake and there was some mix up with the packages and his messenger service. its just disappointing cause i rushed to order so i could get the items ASAP so I can test and play with them cause the clock is ticking. i also would have added more items to the order if i knew i had more time.