E1.31, DMX, the standards.. TSP and we have a funding issue.

multicast

Senior elf
Hello,

I'm not sure if you are aware how the things you use everyday in your shows came about ( DMX and E1.31 ). Those standards were developed by the Technical Standards Program (TSP) of ETSA. The standards go through a rigirous process and eventually get published as ANSI standards.

These standards mean that when you get a XYZ device from Vendor ABC, it will speak the same language as the software that 'Acmesoft' has created. Its no longer the wild west and in the main, it means things can communicate together.

Creating these standards is not cheap.. And fortunatly up till now the costs have been able to be met by the partnernship of ETSA and the LDI show each year.. Penton Media who ran the show have been sold and that partnership detail goes away. Cutting a long story short, the TSP program is now about USD$140,000 per year short.

Some parts of the industry are already contributing tens of thousands of dollars per year, with smaller players also donating considerable sums. This is on top of companys providing their staff's time, and paying travel expenseses etc. Trust me, the TSP is leaning on everyone a bit more so we can keep the TSP going.

The blinky community is perhaps one of the largest users of the E1.31 and DMX protcols.. And that is awesome. We are excited that the community has picked it up and ran with it.. However, the blinky community is not at all represented well ( i do my best to stick up for you )..

There is a very strong desire to keep the standards free... But in order to keep them being standards it takes time and money. ( the program for example has two full time staff )..

Firstly...

I'd appeal to the blinky vendors.. COnsider joining the TSP, even just as an observer and make some contribution as you are able..

Secondly...

End users.. Would you consider making a small donation to the program.. Lots of people times small amounts will make a huge difference.. Would $1/universe be too much to ask? I'm proposing a fundraising scheme, called 'Santas DMX Fund'.. Donators woudl get an ICON that they can put in their signature, so they can show that they are a supporter. ( The icon would have click through so you can prove its real.. The evil elf will come and get people if you forged them :( )

There would be no compulsion and there should never be any compulsory licensing fee.

We need to

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Sounds like a reasonable request. Maybe a link or details for donations? If PayPal were accepted I'm sure people would chip in a few dollars.

damona

Full time elf
multicast and progress. Can people who feel like they are will to provide some funding please post, here.