Answered e1.31 gateway / Controller

Juddge

Apprentice elf
hi guys,

Was looking to goto e1.31 instead of USB
so i can talk with my controllers from any PC in the house rather then a dedicated one connected to USB

with the e1.31 i know this is IP based
so would i need a e1.31 controller / gateway to then change to the RJ45 connectors for the DMX controllers to operate them ?

i will end up with about 4 controllers for my setup when i fainlly move it all over from standard power packs and power boards

i would like to do a setup like this
PC ---- ETHERNET ------e1.31----DMX-----dmx2-24----------dmx2-24--------dmx-2-24-----dmx36 --- terminate

i understand it all - except for the e131 - Dmx part
what equipment would i use here ?
i would rather run a Outdoor style ethernet cable to a e1.31 device outside ( then to the controlers) then have to put a NUC or Rasberrypi outside to connect USB to first and have to control it from there

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Most pixel controllers have a DMX output that can be used. Alternatively an ESP32 running ESPixelStick and an RS485 converter can be used to do E1.31/DDP to DMX conversion (I use this method for mine)

That said, in regards to your last comment specifically:
i would rather run a Outdoor style ethernet cable to a e1.31 device outside ( then to the controlers) then have to put a NUC or Rasberrypi outside to connect USB to first and have to control it from there
Why not have the NUC / Pi indoors with the USB indoors? Push the DMX out over the same Cat5 cable. DMX actually travels further (300m max) over that same cable than ethernet (100m max)

Juddge

Apprentice elf
Ok , sounds good but I was hoping to have a gateway / controller for e1.31 that hopefully had multiple outputs - so I could run a individual Ethernet cable to each spot
Have them seperate legs , and if one fails it only drops that section - no the whole lot

Juddge

Apprentice elf
Kinda like running a switch - between each controller - being able see each controller seperatly - then out to each dmx controller for that section.
Or would this indtroduce lag and have the lights out of time ?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You'd need a controller/gateway with multiple DMX outputs for that. Or a DMX distribution device. You're looking at $150-200 minimum for such a distribution device. https://djcity.com.au/category/lighting/light-controllers/dmx-splitter/

Personally, I feel a switch/electronic device is more likely to die than a single DMX cable that loops between the DMX boards. Internally on the Hanson DMX boards, the DMX sockets are wired back-to-back - there are no electronic components in the path to fail, so if a controller was to die, it wouldn't take out anything further down the line. Only if the cable were to be disconnected.

Juddge

Apprentice elf
I have Decided to just use my NUC as a primary point - As the DMX should stop most issues with being daisy chained
Thanks for the assitance guys and gals