E1.31 Protocol Basic Question

Jeffk13057

New elf
Got a very basic question(s) for the gurus out there. If I have my basic show computer, running LSP, then,

1) If I want to run E1.31, is there a specific ethernet dongle I need, or specific characteristics of the dongle that need to be met? What is the typical dongle you guys are running?

2) I looked at Fasteddy's E1.31 presentation (once again, great work) and the next question would be where does the E1.31 environment come from that the network runs on? Is it built in to the apps, like LSP?

2) Same as #1 for a network switch. I assume the fastest available would work, along with enough ports available to run to the controllers.

Sorry for the basic nature of the questions, and thanks in advance. :eek:

JK

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Jeffk13057 said:
If I have my basic show computer, running LSP, then,

1) If I want to run E1.31, is there a specific ethernet dongle I need, or specific characteristics of the dongle that need to be met? What is the typical dongle you guys are running?

E1.31 does not require a dongle, it connects straight up to your ethernet RJ45 output from your computer. The controllers recieves the E1.31 data that comes from the computer or with multiple e1.31 controllers would then come from a network switch.

Jeffk13057 said:
2) I looked at Fasteddy's E1.31 presentation (once again, great work) and the next question would be where does the E1.31 environment come from that the network runs on? Is it built in to the apps, like LSP?

Software that supports E1.31 (LSP, Vixen) will have an e1.31 app to setup the universes for the E1.31 data steam. this is generated in the software and sent out the ethernet port

Jeffk13057 said:
3) Same as #1 for a network switch. I assume the fastest available would work, along with enough ports available to run to the controllers.

The data is very efficient really and a an old 10mbit switch would do the job for most cases, its all i used last year. But a 100mbit switch these days isnt expensive at all.

Jeffk13057

New elf
Thanks, Fast Eddy. I neglected to mention that I needed a dongle since I have one LAN connection in my computer and no bays to add any NICs. I wanted to keep the internet and home computer network on the LAN that's already there.

Thanks again for the help.

JK

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Jeffk13057 said:
Thanks, Fast Eddy. I neglected to mention that I needed a dongle since I have one LAN connection in my computer and no bays to add any NICs. I wanted to keep the internet and home computer network on the LAN that's already there.

The E1.31 data stream and your regular internet connection can share the same LAN connection. They do not have to be separate.

Is your PC's LAN connection currently plugged into a network switch or router?

Jeffk13057

New elf
I was under the impression that there had to be a seperate network, perhaps incorrectly. But honestly it would be easier to set up a whole new network than to try and do anything else. In case you didn't guess I suck with computers. :-[

So my new switch would go between my computer and the router, and the FIOS network would get plugged into the switch?

Jk

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The best method is to use a seperate NIC ethernet port to completely seperate the networks as all it takes is some vigarous downloads or data transfers during the show and then this can cause the show to act strange as data packets may be missed or arrive out of order.

If your stuck to using the same NIC ethernet port as your internet then this is OK but be aware of your network usage during the times the show is on.

Donny M. Carter

Apprentice elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
The best method is to use a seperate NIC ethernet port to completely seperate the networks as all it takes is some vigarous downloads or data transfers during the show and then this can cause the show to act strange as data packets may be missed or arrive out of order.

If your stuck to using the same NIC ethernet port as your internet then this is OK but be aware of your network usage during the times the show is on.

What if my show computer is wired to my network and I use WiFi on a laptop during the show?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Donny, Jeff et al

I can't comment on bandwidth if using multicast as i only use unicast with E131 however the amount of network traffic i was generating was less than 1Mb for nearly 8000 channels with 25mS sequence timings.

This tells me that there is no need to run separate NICs for performance reasons especially with a 100Mb+ network.

Donny, assuming you are just asking the impact of using a non-show laptop over wifi to your network switch... highly unlikely the show setup would even notice.

I personally split the traffic up last year with all show communications going out via RJ45 connector and connected back to my home network via a wifi connection.... this was only so i could isolate show E131 data from the test setup on the sequencing computer :)

cheers
Phil