e1.31 (Sacn) to DMX Interface (1 in 4 out)

How many people are using the e1.31 (Sacn) to DMX Interface unit for DMX sequences?

• I am using it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drm1963

New elf
That I will always agree but can you show me where any knowledge whether good or bad was offered?

Again 340 looked at it and only 7 even offered to offer an opinion in the Poll!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm glad we can agree on something.

You obviously have the knowledge of how to sort the issue you had, but don't want to share it up front. There's a bit of irony. lol

As for the poll I didn't even see that until later.

i13

Dedicated elf
I'll have to agree with David_AVD here. A good solid E1.31 to DMX bridge is something that would benefit the community as we don't have many options for doing this without pixel outputs. The reason no-one uses these is that there is not enough documentation about them on the forums. I know you say that you'll help if anyone asks but now I still wouldn't buy one of these without any idea of the difficulty (or possibly lack of it) involved in getting them working. I also like to recommend or warn against items for other people so it helps to have the general knowledge.

relxerd

New elf
I'm a little late to the party here. I mostly hang out on FB but this thread came through in my Tapatalk weekly email. I have been running this bridge effectively for the past 2 seasons. I use it to run DMX for dumb RGB controllers, as well as a separate Light O Rama universe (in DMX) on another output. I too am curious how you were able to get them to all work again :) I really like this unit since finding it in 2015. There are a few other pixel controllers in the Aliexpress site I'd like to test out as well.

I have a few DMX pixel controllers I will be adding to them with small props next year and that will occupy the other 2 outputs. Typically I run pixels in my show with 3 Sandevices E682s, 3 E6804s, 2 Falcon F16v2s, and one Joshua P2. I also utilize the DIY LED Express 6 universe bridge, but now it mostly runs pixels with their own pixel extenders (cheaper than a DMX pixel controller shipped).

Here is my video on it when it arrived at my house. I love using it to test thing with throughout the off season. I will place it on my bench after taking down the show this year for use through 2017.

$95-$97 DMX 4-Universe E1.31 Bridge - YouTube

I also show how it have it acting a the Bridge for the LOR controllers in this video too:

Setup Guide for Light O Rama AC Controller to run DMX for Xlights V4 - YouTube

Happy New Year to you all down under! Hope you had a wonderful 2016 season!
Clyde L

drm1963

New elf
relxerd:First off I am not here to patronize anyone but since you already have it working there is nothing I could possibly tell you as how would it benefit you if you have been using them with no issues.

i13:All I am saying is that a little bit of input from others would actually be some bit of justification for me to just openly and freely tell them what I did. As I stated in an earlier post "I will keep watching and if others have actual questions I will provided the route to the answer" that worked for me and I have had no more issues.

I will freely share that I got a lot more input from a few other well known Christmas light forums. Not that they spoon fed me the answer but it did guide me in the correct direction. It did require a couple hours of searching and reading then it did finally make sense what was going on.
I even contacted the manufacture to see if there was an update or upgrade for the units but they were not even the tiniest bit of help, even after I took a few videos of the actual issue to show them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Without the ability to set keep alive like you can in the J1SYS DMX converter then your options are limited. Are you also using LOR controllers because with LOR controllers they will automatically detect either a DMX signal or a LOR signal but this takes a second or so and can cause delays in the controller reacting. Ideally you want to be able to keep a signal going all the time and this is where the keep alive setting in the J1SYS helps. Ive used that feature myself with LOR controllers in the past. One way maybe is to send a black effect to the controller when its not being used thus keeping the controller alive but off.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A community is based on shared knowledge so even if most have never seen this we are always keen to understand how people have solved their issues.
I find it disappointing when someone asks for assistance and then finds a fix but does not share that fix, this forum and the many others would never exists with that attitude.

The foundation of any great forum is the sharing of knowldge

drm1963

New elf
Here is a little bit of the discussion with the Manufacture on the units.

Here is a link to my dropbox video of what it looks like when it fails!
Unit stopped working and will not restart until it is rebooted (reset) All 3 units perform the same way!

Sometimes the light will pulse at a steady rate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs5zustlghlc2rw/File%20Nov%2012%2C%2011%2002%2012%20AM.mov?dl=0

and this is one right after I pressed the reset button to reboot the E131 to DMX interface

I just pressed the reset button and this is what I see during a reboot!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/561xwgw3qdwglb4/E131%20to%20DMX%20-%20reboot.mov?dl=0
cleardot.gif

I have tried a static IP as well as DHCP but it always ends up stopping. Not just on the same song, sequence or computer.

I have tried 2 desktops and 3 laptops as well as many different cables and power supplies!

they asked if I had a licensed version of the software, LOR, and I told them I had a fully licensed Pro Version.

11/12/2016 was the last response I even received from them.

This is a Parallax Propeller driven unit and as soon as I get the opportunity I will pull the code from the chip and go through it.

drm1963

New elf
Fasteddy: Yes I am using 3 LOR controllers as well as DMX but this coming year all will be DMX mode controllers.

I find it more disappointing where someone asks for advice or input and then the thread never has any input for that issue.

You are getting very close to the correct answer for the issue I found but the final fix will be a bit of re-coding the Propeller chip driving the unit to disable the web-page mode until it is needed or requested.
Is it not weird how much information I have drummed up only after saying I found a fix and would not share it until someone actually needed it!

Way back when I used to mod a few forums in the Dish Network / Directv satellite hacking days I never spoon fed anyone an answer. I would always try to give input and guide them to what they needed but I also always stressed for the members to freely share what they could as even a little bit of info that you provided, even if it means nothing to you, may be just what the person is needing.
Any input that applies to a situation is better than no input to the person seeking the answer.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
drm1963 said:
Fasteddy: Yes I am using 3 LOR controllers as well as DMX but this coming year all will be DMX mode controllers.

You are getting very close to the correct answer for the issue I found but the final fix will be a bit of re-coding the Propeller chip driving the unit to disable the web-page mode until it is needed or requested.
Is it not weird how much information I have drummed up only after saying I found a fix and would not share it until someone actually needed it!

Way back when I used to mod a few forums in the Dish Network / Directv satellite hacking days I never spoon fed anyone an answer. I would always try to give input and guide them to what they needed but I also always stressed for the members to freely share what they could as even a little bit of info that you provided, even if it means nothing to you, may be just what the person is needing.
Any input that applies to a situation is better than no input to the person seeking the answer.

I agree with you that people should not be spoon fed because they learn nothing from that, but I do believe if someone had an issue and has a fix and its put on the forum then that allows people to search for possible options to overcome their issue.
To me spoon feeding is where someone wants you to tell them what to buy and what to use and how to hook it up and as you can see those posts normally don't get answered because they don't serve to educate the user and a forum is about shared knowledge to help educate each other which included solutions others have found.

Many of our members do not have the technical knowledge that you or me may have, so we cant expect them to find solutions to issues on their own all the time and this is where the input from members of the forum becomes a valuable resource.

Im glad you have found a solution to your issue and seems like you will have to add some code to keep the controller alive when there is no data being sent to it. I hope it goes well for you