1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

E1.31 to DMX Bridge Choices

Discussion in 'DMX, E1.31 & Networking' started by kidcole, Mar 3, 2012.

1. kidcole

kidcole My 4th year. Added RGB Last year, Pixels this year

Find Me On:
    Has anyone summarized the E1.31 to DMX Bridges available? I will need one for this year's display and would be nice to know my choices.

Thanks !

Denny Cole
    Cary, NC

2. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Currently choice is somewhat limited especially for a E1.31 to DMX bridge that is complete and not requiring assembly. The ECG-DR4 is excellent value at $135 for 4 DMX/Renard universe outputs and has proven to be rock solid so for many its hard to pass up the ECG-DR4

If your more inclined for a DIY option then there are some variations floating around at DIYC, Im unsure of the availablity and features of these.

3. dpitts

dpitts Apprentice Elf

I have used RPM's E131 to DMX/Renard bridge and it works great. 4 universes also. Each can be independently set for either DMX or Renard output. You may need to email him to get availability.
    http://shop.martinxmas.com

4. OP
    OP
    kidcole

Find Me On:
    I appreciate the references. I like the ECG stuff and looked at the DR4. I also noticed there is a D4 for less money but it's ON HOLD for software problems. Is there a good reason for the DR4 over the D4 (assuming he figures out the software issue) ?

I have tried a couple times this year to get an answer from the RPM site. Everything shows out of stock and the owner does not answer emails. He has a 16 Channel DMX board that I was interested in, but he would not answer any business email.

5. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    The D4 is basically the DR4 without the renard support and a slightly different board design, designed to be a cheaper option. Word is that work on fixing the sofware issue will commence soon.

6. OP
    OP
    kidcole

Find Me On:
    I am considering a pair of Renard SS24s for an AC area of my display that needs a bunch of light load channels, rather than LOR. I was just planning to run them in DMX mode. Is there an advantage to running Renard with it's own control protocol or would it be the same if I used the D4 and ran the Renard in DMX mode? I hate to introduce a 4th control is I don't need it. I will already be running LOR, DMX and E.131.

7. fathead45

fathead45 Fiedler Christmas

Find Me On:
    i started working on a comparision on the different bridges. just havent finished it yet. but i have a ecg8, 2 rpm bridges. still need to build rpms. both seem to be pretty rock solid though.

8. cenote

cenote Suburbs of Philadelphia

Planning on doing the same, I picked up 4 boards, hoping the DMX programing goes smoothly :)

9. DanoNJ

DanoNJ Full Time Elf

I'm with Chuck on this.

10. Blickensderfer

Blickensderfer Ohio, USA

Find Me On:
    Flashing the Renards in the DMX firmware is super simple.

11. dpitts

dpitts Apprentice Elf

The only Renards I run in Renard mode is one in my yard and the controllers my neighbors use. I connect a RenW wireless transmitter to a Renard SS 24 in my yard so it needs to setup with Renard protocol and my neighbors each have RenW receivers driving their Renards ss 24's so theirs are also configured with Renard. So if you are not using Renard wireless RenW then I would stay all DMX.