e1.31 Visualiser?

kane

Dedicated elf
Given most of us are moving to e1.31, I wonder whether an e1.31 based visualiser would be a useful tool. It sits standalone (either on the same PC as the sequencer, or a separate PC), and visualises the e1.31 data that is sees on the network..

It could then be used for any sequencing software - HLS, LFP, LSP, Vixen, Matrox etc?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I wrote a simple visualiser that accepts E1.31 or a DMX Pro dongle earlier this year. Here's a quick test video I did at the time.

I'm not sure what will come of that project as I am writing a sequencer (for commercial projects) and the visualiser may get incorporated into that.

Anyway, there's sure to be interest in a freeware one aimed at the Christmas light market. :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
A visualiser is actually a fairly huge component of the sequencing software. Being able to generate megatrees, matrixes etc and handle 10's of 1000's of channels and the associated channel and colour data is not an easy task. Light-o-ramas visualiser is great but it is missing the tools that allow for easy drawing of 1000's of channels of pixels. There are so many things being built with pixels these days that if the visualiser doesn't allow for exceptionally easy drawing of pixel props it is going to be painful to use. I'd like to see one appear but i don't expect there will be a standout proggy released.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
wow, LSP users are spoilt, we already have one for our software.

kane

Dedicated elf
Obviously LSP's is tightly integrated with the sequencing, primarily for the transitions..

I suppose I'm just thinking that it would be good to have a standalone tool, that would firstly test that your e1.31 data is coming out properly (without connecting lights), and also to work with multiple software packages.

Although I use LSP for my show (and will most likely continue to do so) I really wish that it could handle a move to "object based" programming which has been discussed every now and then. I would love to be able to setup an effect (eg "spin star"), and then be able to apply these effects to certain elements over a certain period of time.. Apart from trying to battle with cut and pasting of effects, this sort of thing just needs to be done manually (which is why I instead manipulate LSP's xml files to do things like this for me)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The LOR visualiser is separate but uses TCP data (not E1.31) send from the LOR sequencer I believe.

I think there would be a use for it Kane - go for it I say. :)

anon

Apprentice elf
Could use something like wireshark, not a visualiser as such but at least you can see the data on the network going to your e1.31 device

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Kane said:
Haha - I cant really see myself getting the time to do it as much as I think itd be handy.

Sorry, I thought your first post was meaning you were starting this as a new personal project. :-[

I'm sure there are many people who could develop this, but it's not an insignificant undertaking.

If it was required to be a freeware project, that would cut down the interest of a lot of developers.

angus40

Senior elf
Gigogig was mentioning this also . I hope one of you intelligent beings create 1 :)

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Sorry, I thought your first post was meaning you were starting this as a new personal project. :-[

I'm sure there are many people who could develop this, but it's not an insignificant undertaking.

If it was required to be a freeware project, that would cut down the interest of a lot of developers.
It would be relatively straightforward to do as a once-off (eg for a single display), but to make it into a usable product is another question!

G

GoofyGuy

The Light O Rama Visualizer works with the 1.31 feed coming out of sequencer. Being a LOR user I have it in use and going full throttle. If theres a way to feed into that system that would be an easy setup on your part.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
That's interesting as when I checked the data going from LOR sequencer to visualiser it did not look like E1.31 data at all. It also contained channel names.