Early plans for 2014

harrison0550

Full time elf
Sadly I have been searching forums all night and still cannot find everything I want to add for 2014.

1: dripping meteor tubes.
2: 2 X Pixel mega trees
3: 2 X pixel fans
4: 4 X shooting stars
5: house matrix eh maybe

My concern is:
1: The dripping tubes. Either all I find are junk or way to expensive. That and I cant decide if they need to be RGB or just plain white. opinions needed please.....

2: Cant decide if these should be ray trees with strip or if I should build them with nodes. Being that these will be very close to the street I think they will be to bright if I use strips. Again opinions needed please.....

3,4,5 I got a firm grasp on.

Any suggestions for 1 and 2 though?

2014%20Lights%20Plan%20numbered%201.jpg

arw01

Full time elf
What's ray;s part number for those rgb tubes, please? I only find solid color ones.

Wondering about using some t5 bulb covers to roll your own with flex strips or nodes.

Alan

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Andy I share your dilemma on the pixel tree and that's why I haven't committed to adding one yet. Here's my thoughts having seen most others build threads and show videos. NB I may make some assumptions here based on my perceived notion of relative cost, ease of construction and time required. Everyone has put a lot of work in to their mega trees a d let me say that I am envious of all of them because you have one and I don't.
I think it comes down to whether you want a 2D or 3D tree.
Strip tree:
Easier to construct, ie zip tie to conduit so potentially quicker and cheaper to build.
More Weatherproof (separate debate that I think fasteddy has talked about)
But a 2d tree doesn't really excite.
Node tree:
More like a traditional mega tree appearance and hence more appealing to me.

This may all depend on the best viewing angle for your show. Maybe because I always have the "behind the scenes" view of my show I want a full 360 node tree.

harrison0550

Full time elf
Here is my 2014 network plans. I'm using dropbox to update seq files between my main sequencing pc and the netbook with xlights scheduler. I just made the xlights directory on both PC's a folder inside dropbox so any changes inside the house auto update on the netbook. I also installed logmein on to the netbook so I could control/test lights in the yard with my ipad or phone. I tested everything before I took the display down this year and it worked like a dream.

very%20small%20network%20drawing%202014.jpg

ScottyJ

New elf
Thanks Travis

The tree is 32 strands of 50 12v 2811 pixels each for a total of 1600 nodes, I used 1/2 PVC cut at 15' long the nodes are spaced 3-3/8in apart,
drove the whole tree on one Sandevice 6804 injecting power every 100 nodes, Ive attached a few pics of the legs

Scott

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 76
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 77
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 75

ScottyJ

New elf
Yes I did! Using LSP 2.8, most of the effects are Macros using the image and color slider, I just started creating pictures in Open Office Drawing tool and using the image macro on the tree and other elements in the display

Jodenbach

New elf
Wow! well it looks killer. I love the spinning ones, very 3D looking. Would you happen to care to share some images so I can see what exactly i need to do? thanks.