Eath leagage trips

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
We have an RCD per work bench and often use the test button to turn them off at the end of the day.

I think we actually wore out some of the RCDs at the old workshop, but at least we knew they worked !

multicast

Senior elf
testing should mean making sure that they also turn off in the required time frame. I have some 8mA ones on my bench, where i do anything thats live. 8mA will hurt but unlikey to kill..

keithsw1111

Senior elf
An update. Sparky's are busy this year with pool fitouts but I managed to find a friend of a friend who came over and removed my RCD and replaced my 4 power circuit breakers with 4 RCD/Circuit breaker units. This means my lights are now spread across 2 of the RCDs and last night it all ran perfectly.

I am going with the theory that there was some accumulated leakage across all my power supplies that was causing the problem and replacing and splitting the load has solved the problem.

Thankyou all for your suggestions and insights.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
great to hear you solved your issue.

All switch mode power supplies let out a little residual current and if you have enough then they will trip due to accumulated residual current.
You will find most new houses have the fridge circuit separate because compressors and refrigerators are a good known cause of residual current leakage