ECG-P12R lights blinking when idle

Snowwalker

New elf
I'm running a ECG-P12r and WS2801 lights. When the setup is idle the pixels blink. Any ideas would be causing this to happen.

Snowwalker

New elf
It doesn't seem to matter if it's in test mode or not. Any time the sequence is idle, the light flash. The flash does not appear to be full brightness.

kane

Dedicated elf
Is it all pixels or just a couple? If just a couple could be dodgy pixels. Otherwise maybe try playing with the speed in your p12r config. Change up or down and reboot.

Snowwalker

New elf
I have a string of 25 pixels attached and all of them flash. They may be doing it when the sequence is running also, but it isn't noticeable then. I'll try changing slots and strings tomorrow to see if that has any effect.

riri7707

Full time elf
2 points to check :
a) Distance from controler and first pixel of your string (as far as I remember 6 meter max, without any repeater or null pixel)...
b) The speed is to high on your settings... change the values down until you get a stable display

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Im not gonna be much help but I think there was someone a couple of weeks ago in chat who was having a similar problem, turned out to be the ground? Im not 100% sure how it was fixed, but thought I would throw it out there.

Snowwalker

New elf
:) Good news! Problem solved. Replacing string stopped the flashing. Problem is most likely a bad pixel in the string. Thanks for the help!

randallr

New elf
Last season, I had a 'flicker' that would show up on my strips around 2 windows (taped to alum window frame)
I would change them and it would fix it. But when I'd take the old strip and test on the workbench, it would be fine. I kept thinking it was a ground problem. Right before the end of the season, I switched to a higher power FM transmitter, which is just inside one of the windows. As soon as I'd turn it on, the flicker would start. Shielding the short wires between controller and strip didn't help- as the whole strip has conductors and IC's that are exposed the whole length.