ECG-P12S and dumb pixels

Jeff

New elf
I'm new to this and just purchased a ECG-P12S controller to start off. Question... since I'm new and will have extra space available on my controller, is it possible to run dumb rgb pixel modules directly off of the ECG-P12S controller, or do I need to purchase dmx controllers in order to run the dumb pixels? I would like to make some north poles, but want to make sure I won't need any additional supplies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Your nomenclature suggests you're confusing a few things. A pixel is a smart element which has a pixel IC in it and runs off the SPI pixel output of the P12S. A dumb RGB element hooks up to 3 channels of a DC dimmer. This can be a lor, dmx, renard protocol controlled dimmer or alternatively the 2811DC or 2801DC boards that I make and that hook up somewhat like pixels but have DC dimmer outputs for driving dumb elements.

Jeff

New elf
You are correct, I guess I am confusing things. I have a few WS2811 pixels nodes and strips that I will be running off the ECG-P12S. I have that part working, but I am looking for a way to convert from the ECG-P12S to dumb rgb elements. Guess I'm just confused on how to run the dumb rgb elements off of a ECG-P12S controller. So am I right by saying that I will have to use a dimmer as you suggest or a DMX bridge / controller?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As Alan said, you can use one of his 2811DC15 or 2811DC30 boards.

They connect to the P12S as if they were a pixel string / strip.

The outputs of the 2811DC boards can drive dumb LED strings / strips.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
on the p12s there is 2 dmx outputs on the bottom that you can run dmx controllers off for your dub rgb lights

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Just to be clear, the top board on the P12S runs the 12 universes of pixels, there are two RJ45 sockets on the lower board that take a cat5 cable to dimmer boards. Configure these as universe 13 and 14. Your sequencer will see these as extra DMX universes over E1.31. Took me a little while to work that out.

Jeff

New elf
Awesome everyone, thanks for your help. I went ahead and purchased a 27 channel dmx controller to connect up to the rj45 Jack and plan on seeing it up as universe 13. I'll let everyone know how it goes. The new controller sboil be here in a few days. Thanks again.