ECG-P2 ethernet directly to computer

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi,

If I wanted to connect the ecg-p2 directly to computer then do I need a different ip address from my home network so if my home network is 192.168.1.x and i make my network card 10.10.10.9 255.255.255.0 then make a null modem cable from the computer to the ecg-p2?

neilric99

Full time elf
the only issue is that the default gateway is your wireless network and you will need a route to get the e1.31 traffic to go down that Nic

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
neil said:
the only issue is that the default gateway is your wireless network and you will need a route to get the e1.31 traffic to go down that Nic

Your computer won't send data to the default gateway if the destination exists on another NIC.

It may however multicast the data on all NICs if the program is configured to so so.

neilric99

Full time elf
Is this a windows 7 thing?, so automatic routing via metric?

Kaden said:
neil said:

Your computer won't send data to the default gateway if the destination exists on another NIC.

It may however multicast the data on all NICs if the program is configured to so so.

Kaden

neil said:
Is this a windows 7 thing?, so automatic routing via metric?

It's OS independent, It's not even routing, if a network is directly connected to any NIC it will just pass the traffic, even with no routing configured.

Kaden

yzguy96 said:
Hi,

If I wanted to connect the ecg-p2 directly to computer then do I need a different ip address from my home network so if my home network is 192.168.1.x and i make my network card 10.10.10.9 255.255.255.0 then make a null modem cable from the computer to the ecg-p2?

Yes, your theory of a separate IP/subnet would work and the correct terminology for the network cable you will need is a crossover cable.

What sequencer are you using? If you are using LSP you can choose the adapter the data goes out (even if you are using multicast).

yzguy96

Full time elf
Yes crossover..lol sorry i could thought of the word after i posted...so a crossover cable to my computer will allow my computer to connect to the ecg-p2 through my NIC then in LOR I could set the adapter? Is it better just to hook it up to the router to make my life easier? My router is in the basement and my computer is on the first floor. I just want to hook up the ECG-P2 to hook up one strip and play with things before I do my setup.

yzguy96

Full time elf
One more question..if i do hook it up to my router on my main computer network and multicast then wont it slow down my network when its displaying a show? i dont want to give my wife any excuses for complaining about my lights lol.

BrianJ

Full time elf
I don't know that you would need a cross over cable to hook a p2 up to your NIC. My p12r works just fine on a normal network cable.
I did go to a usb wireless network adapter for my home network/internet connection and made my NIC dedicated for christmas lights

yzguy96

Full time elf
yeah thats what i was planning to do..i have a wireless usb NIC for my home connection then I wanted to use my wired Lan NIC as my E1.31. What did you have to setup to accomplish this? I thought if i setup my P2 as 10.10.10.10 and my NIC as 10.10.10.9 then they would be able to talk and see each other?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I just bought another NIC card since they are pretty cheap and set that one for my P2 as 10.10.10.10.

I found it much easier doing that than trying to remember what IP of P2 is etc.

Normal Cat5 cable is all that is needed, no crossover.

yzguy96

Full time elf
so i set my NIC to the same IP as the P2 which was 10.10.10.10 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and it should work? OR I also found an old wireless router I was goign to hookup and use as a DHCP for my 10.10.10.x network.

BrianJ

Full time elf
download the p12r giude from HERE.
Pages 14 and 15 will walk you through the process of setting up your computer for talking to the J1 sys products.
Once this is done you should be able to communicate with the p2 by typing it's address (10.10.10.10) in a browser.

yzguy96

Full time elf
Thanks that was easy..lol i was using the wrong ip...is 10.10.10.1 the default gateway for the P2 and thats why it works?