Electrical Direct - Reviews

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Has anybody used this company before. They seem to have a good range of heatshrink and reasonable prices. They are in WA so postage may take a little longer.

http://www.electricaldirect.com.au

On a separate note what size heatshrink am I likely to need. This is my thoughts

13mm clear to repair strip
3mm black to join wires
9mm black to cover cable joins

Happy to take advice though.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I wish I found them before buying from Jaycar, with the amount I have used I could have saved myself a *^*^%# tin.

Thanks, will use them in the future.

What ever you think you need and times that by 5. Heat shrink is great, I would also recommend the dual wall as it has adhesive and help to water proof.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
gnarmstr said:
I wish I found them before buying from Jaycar, with the amount I have used I could have saved myself a *^*^%# tin.

Thanks, will use them in the future.

What ever you think you need and times that by 5. Heat shrink is great, I would also recommend the dual wall as it has adhesive and help to water proof.

I actually found the dual wall to cause more issues because it doesnt like being flexed or moved. I found the best way is to just use a dab of silicone.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks everyone. I had been wondering about how the heatshrink goes with its lack of flexibility. I'll chalk this one up as one of those rare situations when cheaper is better!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have a personal preference for clear silicon as it is almost a rubberised material and it actually sticks to whatever it is shrunk onto. I assume that all the clear stuff is the same but I can't say for certain as I've been buying all my heatshrink from Altronics for years. I have used dual wall and silicon with heathrink before and I will go with 2 layers of clear heatshrink every time. It also has the advantage of being able to see your join. Because you can see your join it isn't suitable for all applications. A word of warning though, make sure that you have the heatshrink positioned correctly when you start shrinking it it will bind to the cable and it can't be slid. If it's in the wrong place you need to cut it off.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Alan. Had been thinking that clear would be good as you could see the join but was wondering if it was UV resistant. Obviously it must be ok or you would have had issues by now and stopped using it.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
In the end I thought I would give this company a go. It all worked flawlessly. Easy to use website. Quick to dispatch and give you tracking number. The heatshrink comes in 1.2m lengths and they even put it all in a tube to keep the heatshrink straight. I was expecting it to come rolled/scrunched up in a bag.

Takes 11 days by courier from WA to regional NSW, so you need to plan ahead a little.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I get my heatshrink from china for around $30 a roll, now thats a 100m or 200m roll depending on the size you get,
avg waiting time is like 3weeks.
it helps if you use heaps of it, buying local was sending me broke

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Alec. I had seen that but I had already completed my order from China and figured the extra postage would offset some of the savings. Not sure I will need 100m this year either. I know "famous last words" from the new guy. Maybe I should say I hope I don't need 100m this year with the small amount of stuff I have. With the numbers everybody is talking about I am getting concerned though.

Nearly have all my gear landed now. Planning on laying it out this weekend and giving it a crack. Will have a better picture next week I suppose.