Electrical short courses

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
I was thinking of the legalities of the power supplies used in this hobby. They don't come with power cords and legally you cannot add one.

Thats correct, unless youre licenced accordingly, be it a restricted licence as in your examples above or a full licence.
Another thing alot of people should think about is their home insurance
If you happen to burn down your home from a faulty control box, the first question asked is who wired it?
If it was someone unlicensed then you more than likely wont be covered.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Hence why I looked at short course for adding power cables to power supplies. Its a simple thing to do but you still have to know how to do it legally. I haven't seen any power supplies yet which come with plugs already attached and I'm pretty sure lots of people are not sparky's.

battle79

Full time elf
With regard to adding a circuit for an A/C, only a fully licenced electrician can add a new circuit.

A/C installers usually only have a disconnect/reconnect licence and are only licenced to disconnect from isolator installed by an electrician and reconnect to same isolator.

Even running the wires from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit is a grey area that their licence technically doesn't cover. That said, never seen a fridgie get pulled up on cabling between units.

Have definitely seen fridgies get pulled up on installing new ccts and breakers with only a disconnect/reconnect licence.

*Above is all as per Victorian regs (strictest regs), so for most other states, probably more relaxed regulations.

Cheers,
Rowan

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
In the US, any one can wire their home. But it must be inspected at different stages while it is being done. If it follows code & passes inspection, then you are allowed to continue to the next stage. They may be a few exceptions in some of the larger cities.
This may also require many inspections & take a longer time to finish.