Electrical short courses

mborg10

Michael Borg
Apart from becoming an apprentice and becoming a full blown electrician. Does anyone know of or has done a short course to assist in this hobby.

grahami2006

Full time elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Apart from becoming an apprentice and becoming a full blown electrician. Does anyone know of or has done a short course to assist in this hobby.

I have never thought about but checked Tafe website and they have a variety of courses available.

arw01

Full time elf

Unless you want to design your own hardware, I just ask questions until I get it explained in dumb dumb terms and understand it.

I can assemble kits others have come up with, without any knowledge of why the parts are there.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah I had a look at one which lets you add power cords to 240v single phase appliances legally to Australian standards. Don't know about the cost but it was 38 hours.

mborg10

Michael Borg
arw01 said:

Unless you want to design your own hardware, I just ask questions until I get it explained in dumb dumb terms and understand it.

I can assemble kits others have come up with, without any knowledge of why the parts are there.

I was more looking at the 240v which is illegal to play with unless your licensed.

grahami2006

Full time elf
arw01 said:

I was more looking at the 240v which is illegal to play with unless your licensed.

The one I saw was for Domestic. It was 20 hours and cost was $940.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
im thinking of doing this next http://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/course/aw/aw_TP00422.aspx

20 core units:
Participate in electrical work competency development activities;
Apply OHS regulations, codes and practices in the workplace;
Fabricate dismantle, assemble of utilities industry components;
Solve problems in d.c. circuits;
Fix and secure electrotechnology equipment; Use drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes and specifications;
Document and apply measures to control OHS risks associated with electrotechnology work;
Solve problems in single and three phase low voltage machines;
Solve problems in single and three phase low voltage electrical apparatus and circuits;
Arrange circuits, control and protection for general electrical installations;
Solve problems in electromagnetic devices and related circuits;
Solve problems in low voltage a.c. circuits;
Install low voltage wiring and accessories;
Install appliances, switchgear and associated accessories for low voltage electrical installations;
Verify compliance and functionality of low voltage general electrical installations;
Terminate cables, cords and accessories for low voltage circuits;
Select wiring systems and cables for low voltage general electrical installations;
Trouble-shoot and repair faults in low voltage electrical apparatus and circuits;
Develop and connect electrical control circuits;
Apply environmental and sustainable procedures in the energy sector;
plus elective units.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yeah I had a look at one which lets you add power cords to 240v single phase appliances legally to Australian standards. Don't know about the cost but it was 38 hours.

You can't even do a course like that in Queensland without a ridiculous amount of hoop jumping. :eek:

davrus

Silent elf
Back in the 60's, my first job was as a Service Representative for Burroughs (basically a fancy description for an accounting machine mechanic). I had to do an evening course at Auckland Tech to get a limited electrical licence.

Just wondering if that licence would still be valid. No way that I can prove it, as I've moved too many times, so would have lost any certificate that I had, and Burroughs doesn't exist any longer.

Its amazing how much you have to learn just to work with wiring a plug (OK, also electrical motors and transformers, and on-off switches ! )

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The reason why its a Licenced trade in Australia and any home electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician is because it can KILL, cause fires and a range of other issues if not installed correctly.

In the US many people seem to do their own thing on their systems, but in Australia this is a big NO

For our hobby where we are mainly dealing with extra low voltage applications then the risks are minimal (there are still risks) and any range of electrical fundamental litriture will suffice. The main thing that people need to understand and learn in this hobby is OHMS law, this is the fundamental of electricity and how we use electricity in our hobby. So if you have a clear understanding of that then you will have a much better idea on electricity.

I wouldnt go to the expense and effort to actually do coarses especially if its just extra low voltage im working with, as most of what you would learn would have no use to you in the real world. I would just use the vast resources of the internet to teach me what I need to know.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Just to add to Ed's advice above,
Don't get confused by the term "Low Voltage"
Low Voltage in Australia means any voltage between 50V - 1000V AC or 120V - 1500V DC
for this you need to be licenced.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Just to add to Ed's advice above,
Don't get confused by the term "Low Voltage"
Low Voltage in Australia means any voltage between 50V - 1000V AC or 120V - 1500V DC
for this you need to be licenced.

And this is why i used the word extra low voltage which is below 50VAC and 120VDC ripple free which are the voltage ranges used within our hobby.
Low voltage requires an electrical license as Ruprect has already mentioned

mborg10

Michael Borg
I understand it takes 4 years to be a full blown electrician, but I know when I got my air con installed the guy wasn't an electrician but he was able to open the fuse box and install a new circuit legally. Another friend of mine has an import business for coffee machines from Italy. He is not an electrician but he has done a short course to legally allow him to open up machine and change power cord to aus plug.

I was thinking of the legalities of the power supplies used in this hobby. They don't come with power cords and legally you cannot add one.