Electrical Work Laws

videoman3857

Full time elf
240 volt power requires an electrical license. It's invisible, it bites and it can kill - even the most experienced electrician.
I believe You can perform electrical work on 36 volt DC and under without a License.
Most of us work with 5 - 12 volt DC. - Remember even fires can start at these voltages if incorrectly done.

On a foot note - if You perform unlicensed 240 volt electrical work (and they find out) and you cause personal injury, Property damage (fire) or even death, Your Insurance company (more than likely) will refuse your Insurance claim and you lose everything.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
Yep that's Queensland for you.
I had a limited electrical license for my business - was so hard to get it.
It was Disconnect /Connect which basically meant you can remove a power lead and reconnect the power lead.
You couldn't remove a single power point and replace it with a double - that was a different license again.
Yeah I think you should be able to get one for hobby use, limited sure but still.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've seen some truly bad (dangerous) work done by the owners of domestic audio items brought in for repair. Then again I've also seen some bad stuff done by qualified electricians. Overall the worst stuff is done by non qualified people.

A few times here on ACL I've seen people show off controller boxes with wiring that is dodgy. Some people are so sure they know what they are doing with power, but in reality they know very little and fail to grasp their limitations. [1]

I possibly know enough to do some switchboard wiring, but I don't. I leave that to a qualified electrician as I'm sure there are regulations and subtle technical things that I'm just not aware of. Better to pay him to do it and know it's all good. I stick to what I know.

The regulation of who can work on mains powered devices is a joke, especially in Queensland. Unless you want to become an apprentice electrician, you've got virtually zero chance. You're not even permitted to attend those TAFE courses without consent from the electrical board.