Enclosure boxes - ideas to fit PixLite 16, 2x power supplies, fan & vents

Junior

Full time elf
Hoping before I buy the ammo boxes for my enclosures and make another 2. I have a pixlite16, and 2 power supplies for it. So it has to be big enough for the fan, vent, board and 2 power supplies Are there ready made ones with 16 holes for the pigtails and holes for the vent and fan that I can buy? Locally in Australia?

Asking for a guy who's trying to get some work of his plate haha.

I know advatek have them but it only has room for one power supply in it.

Nojoy

Full time elf
@LawrenceDriveLights has some good behind the scenes videos where he shows how the MTM Caseguard ACR8P-72. Have to drill the gland and fan holes yourself though.
Others import the CG-1200 enclosure which has some predrilled options.
Otherwise
- Alan stocks a couple of enclosures at www.hansenelectronics.com.au
- your local Christmas shop likely has IP44 power distribution boxes with cable access
- Bunnings has some cheap storage boxes which would fit 2 PSU and control/receive board with some DYI
- Ebay option with 12 pre-drilled m40 gland holes. Can get multi wire inserts for the glands to keep the pigtails secure.

Adsy

Full time elf
You could use larger cabled glands for multiple pigtails. Not sure how waterproof a box you need but I used the same as @LawrenceDriveLights,
only the slimmer version and they worked out great.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Maybe consider using some of these 4 hole cable glands similar to these

RAMJET

so much to do so little time
Generous elf
IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

Hi Junior, I use Advatek Long Range MkII controllers in a box slightly larger than NoJoy linked to from Bunnings for $32, see pictures. Hope this helps

Junior

Full time elf
+1 to these boxes.
I use them in my display for power supplies.

I have the handles cut open like @RAMJET has above. I use them to pass cables through (I don't have connector tails on my static lights).
For pics?

Stkilda123

Apprentice elf
I use the freah food snap lock plastic containers which you buy from Woolies. On special about $6 each, then i cut the holes to the glands with a soldering iron and glue them in, never had one leak after 2 years,
Worth a thought if you are looking to save money

Dreamin

Full time elf
My set up came in one of those Bunnings boxes linked above and I wasn't a fan of it at all. Found it awkward shape wise inside, and the lid held water when it rained so you open the lid and water splashes everwhere. I found it cramped too but that might have been the wiring layout of the previous owner. I swapped it out for these style boxes https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-45l-heavy-duty-storage-box_p2583690

I use the 60lt for my controller, PSU, router, Pi and FM Transmitter so yes it's massive, but it has air inside so heat isn't an issue in my opinion and it's easy to work in and see issues if you have one. I use the 30 litre one which is in store but not on the website for some reason for my mega tree, it's square. I have the PSU down the bottom, and the controller on top so little fingers can't touch the 240V. Has a nice big lip, water doesn't sit on the top and the plastic is more heavy duty. I had a lot of rain over the time it was out and not a drop of water inside. The glands are all bunnings ones, used the bigger ones with 4 cables through them, and some singles for the PSU power and they all drilled easily. I use the largest ones to run the CAT5 cable though and info the expansion board so did away with any external connectors. Less chance of issues with it moving around and causing issues too.

Seriously making the box didn't take long, it's one of the easier jobs. Drill holes, put in gland and make a internal structure with clear plex and some stand offs. I just used dowel, and a screw top of bottom. Wiring the thing took me longer, but it was my first year and I had to redo things as I went as what I planned didn't make sense when I planned it in my head. I also changed to the P8 boards with the removable clips so I can remove the entire set up by lifting it out and work on it and then plug it all back in. Made more sense to me.

RAMJET

so much to do so little time
Generous elf
I use a kettle BBQ cover over the box to give some extra protection and reduces the water on the lid. There is plenty of space as I use the bigger 80l box. An overkill but seems to work ok. Great to see so many different variations and methods for storage

Junior

Full time elf
My set up came in one of those Bunnings boxes linked above and I wasn't a fan of it at all. Found it awkward shape wise inside, and the lid held water when it rained so you open the lid and water splashes everwhere. I found it cramped too but that might have been the wiring layout of the previous owner. I swapped it out for these style boxes https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-45l-heavy-duty-storage-box_p2583690

I use the 60lt for my controller, PSU, router, Pi and FM Transmitter so yes it's massive, but it has air inside so heat isn't an issue in my opinion and it's easy to work in and see issues if you have one. I use the 30 litre one which is in store but not on the website for some reason for my mega tree, it's square. I have the PSU down the bottom, and the controller on top so little fingers can't touch the 240V. Has a nice big lip, water doesn't sit on the top and the plastic is more heavy duty. I had a lot of rain over the time it was out and not a drop of water inside. The glands are all bunnings ones, used the bigger ones with 4 cables through them, and some singles for the PSU power and they all drilled easily. I use the largest ones to run the CAT5 cable though and info the expansion board so did away with any external connectors. Less chance of issues with it moving around and causing issues too.

Seriously making the box didn't take long, it's one of the easier jobs. Drill holes, put in gland and make a internal structure with clear plex and some stand offs. I just used dowel, and a screw top of bottom. Wiring the thing took me longer, but it was my first year and I had to redo things as I went as what I planned didn't make sense when I planned it in my head. I also changed to the P8 boards with the removable clips so I can remove the entire set up by lifting it out and work on it and then plug it all back in. Made more sense to me.
I made 2 but got ammo boxes of eBay. Great food for thought. Thank you.

Junior

Full time elf
@LawrenceDriveLights has some good behind the scenes videos where he shows how the MTM Caseguard ACR8P-72. Have to drill the gland and fan holes yourself though.
Others import the CG-1200 enclosure which has some predrilled options.
Otherwise
- Alan stocks a couple of enclosures at www.hansenelectronics.com.au
- your local Christmas shop likely has IP44 power distribution boxes with cable access
- Bunnings has some cheap storage boxes which would fit 2 PSU and control/receive board with some DYI
- Ebay option with 12 pre-drilled m40 gland holes. Can get multi wire inserts for the glands to keep the pigtails secure.
Omg thank you for your comprehensive feedback. Funny I see you selling a push and play.