EthConGateway - LSP/Vixen/DMX/Renard

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
Well, yesterday was a red letter day ... now to see if it was a good one or a bad one!!

I started shipping the ECG-DMXRen8. I've setup an aggressive shipping schedule to ship 5 units every other day for the next week. Thanx to most of the order placers who have sent their payments so fast.

I had delayed getting these shipped to be sure I had the ECG-M24H tested VERY well. We also wanted to be sure we had everything included and packaged well. Please let us know how the box arrives and unpacks.

I also had done some critical path time juggling and devoted a LOT of time to finishing the DR4 PC board design so I could get it in the manufacturing pipeline ASAP. I hope to have the first prototype boards back this Saturday and after a quick hand build and test should place a pre-production order. I want to have these ready to demonstrate on the 28th and to ship in EARLY September.

These boards took a little longer to design because after almost finishing them I discovered those production problems on the ECG-M24H. So I reworked almost EVERY component footprint and trace on the DR4 design (one at a time) to take into account the new footprints that should improve our manufacturing yield.

For those people receiving the units in the next few days: I've installed the basic 1.1.0 version of the software on the ECG-M24H that I and the beta testers have been working with for months. You will need to download and install the 1.1.0 version on your slave processors after assembly. It will be up on our website later today. I expect to have many revisions (1.1.1, 1.1.2 ...) over the next 30 days as we improve the software. I did not include any assembly instructions or programming or setup instructions in the package. The very preliminary assembly instructions are available on-line and I will be finishing those and all other documentation as rapidly as possible and placing it on our web site. Watch it almost daily for new information. I wanted to get the hardware in your hands so you can start the assembly process as soon as possible. Plus for my Aussie friends their shipments will take a week or so in transit so I figured ship it first and then finish the documentation while it is in transit.

-Ed

fathead45

Fiedler Christmas
got it the other day ed, was in very good condition and unpacked well. only thing i noticed is it wasnt fully assembled lol jk. cant wait to start building. after some long thought might only be able to do the one this year with other cost, but might pick up a dr4 or just get the ECG with only 4 slaves.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Mine is half way home :) Thanks Ed.. John has got his mits on it right now, we will stick it in the next shipment down here.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Rob said:
Has any one tested the Ethcongateway with LSP yet?

Rob

I have, and have been active in providing feedback to David from LSP regarding some bugs in LSP outputing the E1.31 data.

The EthConGateway as a hardware device will work as well with LSP as it does with Vixen once a couple of bugs have been squashed in the output routines.

That is the honest situation as it stands August 22, i'm personally believe it will be fixed in time and plan to use LSP with the ECG

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
A thing of Beauty and Joy

Ed,

The new revision of the board looks great, this really is going to change the scene for a lot of people

ECG12.png

Power up tests tomorrow evening, then we start testing with the TP3212 before you debut it in Carolina

Cheers
Phil

dmoore

Senior elf
wbottomley said:
I'm following this thread closely.

I need multiple universes to run what I need to do. :p

I'd suggest going to his website and placing an order. If you go to RGB you'll need one of these sooner or later.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
I've got my prototype SPI interface ready to rock.. I just dont' have the Ethcongateway.. Sigh.. and its not eds fault, its on its way from the USA, bundled with a zillion ohter things..

j1sys

William (wbottomley) doesn't need to order one TODAY. He will be able to touch and feel and see all of the different units in operation this Saturday at Carolina Christmas.

And we should have 4-5 units of DMXRen8 kits with us that he can take home that day (if some of the other 50 attendees don't beat him to it).

He will also be among the first to see the DR4 in action and the new mystery board. Plus Phil's TP3212 (if it ever gets out of US Customs) and some of Ray Wu's pixels. So he can place orders for all of those and get delivery in early September.

-Ed

j1sys

Oooops -

We just discovered (well actually Matt alias FatHead discovered) a documentation/labeling error in the DMXRen8 package.

You should have two strips of MLCC capacitors.

One is labeled: 103 .01uf

The other is labeled: 104 .01uf

The second number on the second strip is incorrect.

It should read: 104 .1uf

The actual capacitors should also have a tiny 103 or 104 on each one. This is the standard way to mark capacitors in picofarads.

The 103 stands for 10 x 10 to the third power = 10,000 pf = .01uf

The 104 stands for 10 x 10 to the fourth power = 100,000 pf = .1uf

sorry for the confusion.

-Ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dmoore said:
This doesn't have any affect does it - the SMD board comes pre-soldered - right?

The ECG DR4 is a full SMD board that is pre-assembled and tested so this does not apply, it is only for the DIY ECG DMXREN8 boards

wbottomley

One Light Too Bright
j1sys said:
William (wbottomley) doesn't need to order one TODAY. He will be able to touch and feel and see all of the different units in operation this Saturday at Carolina Christmas.

And we should have 4-5 units of DMXRen8 kits with us that he can take home that day (if some of the other 50 attendees don't beat him to it).

He will also be among the first to see the DR4 in action and the new mystery board. Plus Phil's TP3212 (if it ever gets out of US Customs) and some of Ray Wu's pixels. So he can place orders for all of those and get delivery in early September.

-Ed

Count me in for one now!

With all of this new technology developing, what was that program called used year's ago, LOR? :p