EthConGateway - LSP/Vixen/DMX/Renard

mschell

Full time elf
Ed,
Got my kit today and at least opened the box. Probably won't have time to put it together this week.

I checked all the places I could find on www.j1sys.com and couldn't find any pointers to new firmware or assembly instructions.

Did I just miss something?

Looking forward to seeing you at the Carolina mini on Saturday.

Mark

neilric99

Full time elf
DITTO,

I too have got as far as unpacking the box and seeing whats in it, however I understand that documentation is WIP but a link to something would be a good start

Neil

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
sorry for the delay on getting assembly instructions and firmware up on our site.

the prelim assembly manual link was posted on this site a couple of weeks ago and i thought you all saw it.

it gets you through 90% of the assembly the only things missing are the connectors and things that are pretty obvious in the photos.

i've been having some trouble getting the DR4 stable for introducing/demoing this weekend and gettting pre-production quantities made so we can hope to get production quantities by mid-September.

i will try to post all source, docs, hex files etc and setup a download/doc area on our website tomorrow that you can check often to get the newest and best info.

here is the link for the current assembly manual: http://www.j1sys.com/Tutorials/ECG/DMXRen8Assembly.pdf

-Ed

occhristmas

New elf
Apologies for asking what others may have already asked, but I need sort of a recap of all of the required equipment to successfully incorporate rgb pixels. As I see it - in order to take advantage of multiple universes of rgb pixel strings (170 pixels = 1 DMX universe) and be able to have individual, synchronized control of each pixel, we need:

1. some sort of software (based on compatibility and reading through the forums, the choices are vixen and LSP - LSP seems to be embraced and according to this thread, should have all communication issues corrected soon) - this software would be configured to work with the protocol necessary to drive the controllers
2. multiple dmx dongles (1 per 170 pixels, unless using this ethcongateway - which I am still a bit fuzzy on)
3. the pixel bridge (1 per 170 pixels)
4. the pixel strings

Ok - so, where I am a bit fuzzy is how would all of this be configured if 1700 pixels were being used? I chose that number so that it would be easy math...so, 10 pixel bridges, 10 dongles...? How would this work - would we need to get a usb hub in order to accomodate the dongles? What would the performance be? Would there be a risk of latency with all of the dmx dongles?

I think that if someone could kind of provide a rough sketch of the connection/configuration of the technology that is required to drive over a thousand pixels.

Again, I apologize for showing up late to the party!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
occhristmas said:
Apologies for asking what others may have already asked, but I need sort of a recap of all of the required equipment to successfully incorporate RGB pixels. As I see it - in order to take advantage of multiple universes of RGB pixel strings (170 pixels = 1 DMX universe) and be able to have individual, synchronized control of each pixel, we need:

1. some sort of software (based on compatibility and reading through the forums, the choices are vixen and LSP - LSP seems to be embraced and according to this thread, should have all communication issues corrected soon) - this software would be configured to work with the protocol necessary to drive the controllers
2. multiple DMX dongles (1 per 170 pixels, unless using this ethcongateway - which I am still a bit fuzzy on)
4. the pixel strings

Ok - so, where I am a bit fuzzy is how would all of this be configured if 1700 pixels were being used? I chose that number so that it would be easy math...so, 10 pixel bridges, 10 dongles...? How would this work - would we need to get a usb hub in order to accomodate the dongles? What would the performance be? Would there be a risk of latency with all of the dmx dongles?

I think that if someone could kind of provide a rough sketch of the connection/configuration of the technology that is required to drive over a thousand pixels.

Ok to put it simple

Lightshow Pro Software ---> Ethercon gateway (ECG DMX/REN 8 or ECG DR4) ----> TP3212 DMX pixel controller ----> 6803 or 2801 controlled pixels

Now the ECG does not use USB, it uses your ethernet RJ45 output to communicate to the computer (see it as the same as a DMX dongle but over ethernet and with multiple universes and cheaper) The ECG will then output the DMX universes that then connect to the TP3212 DMX pixel controller which then drive the 6803 and/or the 2801 IC controlled pixels. This is all programmed using Lightshow pro due to its great ability to handle RGB for sequencing.

Hope that helps a bit without getting too technical

mrpackethead

Full time elf
fasteddy said:
occhristmas said:
Apologies for asking what others may have already asked, but I need sort of a recap of all of the required equipment to successfully incorporate RGB pixels. As I see it - in order to take advantage of multiple universes of RGB pixel strings (170 pixels = 1 DMX universe) and be able to have individual, synchronized control of each pixel, we need:

2. multiple DMX dongles (1 per 170 pixels, unless using this ethcongateway - which I am still a bit fuzzy on)
4. the pixel strings

Ok to put it simple

Lightshow Pro Software ---> Ethercon gateway (ECG DMX/REN 8 or ECG DR4) ----> TP3212 DMX pixel controller ----> 6803 or 2801 controlled pixels

Now the ECG does not use USB, it uses your ethernet RJ45 output to communicate to the computer (see it as the same as a DMX dongle but over ethernet and with multiple universes and cheaper) The ECG will then output the DMX universes that then connect to the TP3212 DMX pixel controller which then drive the 6803 and/or the 2801 IC controlled pixels. This is all programmed using Lightshow pro due to its great ability to handle RGB for sequencing.

Hope that helps a bit without getting too technical

I should have a SPI interface to connect to the ECG which will drive 16 "strings" of SPI based pixels ( 6803/2801 ) in the very near future.. This eliminates the need to encode to dmx, and decode again across the protocol bridge.. Some testing to do with the ecg when it gets here.. so far its all be done on spec! I know that the output section works fine.

j1sys

In some ways this is a redundant post. But this attachment was not duplicated in this thread. It was part of some of the early discussions over on DIYC.

I know that the idea behind the ECG units is, for some reason, difficult for some people to get their head around. It IS a different technology and includes new plugins, masters, slaves, html, cgi, and a whole lot more. It was a big project and I did ALL the different parts of it in a very short time. I've had some help solving some of my hardware design issues and I've held open discussions on the 'best' way to proceed on some of the fine points of the software but essentially it is/was a one-man project.

A lot of the discussions are very technical and yet in operation it is very easy. The problem is that it uses some parts of ethernet technology that is either not widely used or, even more, widely understood. I think the hi-tech speak scares some people off.

The attachment below is a simple comparison of the 'traditional' USB Dongle topology compared to the 'new' ECG topology.

Please see if it helps to clarify the difference be the 'traditional' and the 'new'. Don't forget, several years ago the only lighting connection for the DIY community was the RS-232 serial port or the parallel port. Both of these are now very hard to find on most computers.

-Ed

Attachments

• EthConGateway.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 65

joelrose

NW Iowa
One item on the instructions.
On the 1 x 2 headers they should actually be 2 x 1
Meaning you need to snap off 1 section of the double row headers. Not 2 sections of the single row.
Otherwise you will not have enough when you come to the 1 x 6 for the ICSP strips.

Ok disreguard... Found another whole single strip.
Rule 1 should have been reduce the clutter on your working surface to less than 3 inches deep
:D

Quit soldering at 2am. Got all the sockets in.

Was the board coated with something that should have been cleaned off first?
Board reacts differently than others I have had.
Definitely need to heat each joint 2 seconds before applying solder. Can not just touch and go.

Need the last part of the instructions.
Where all those jumpers go?
And most importantly, what is being carried on which cat5 wire for each configuration?

Joel

Anybody who says this is not DIY obviously has not assembled a EDM transmitter. ???

joelrose

NW Iowa
Next issue on the capacitors

The kit included 2 strips of capacitors.
a 104 (33+3) mislabeled .01uf really .1uf
used for C02 C91 C92 C93 C95 C96 C97
and 8 slaves for Cx1 Cx4 Cx6 Cx8

that is a total of 39, I only have 36

a 103 (25+3) labeled .01
used for C09 and 8 slaves for Cx0 Cx3 Cx5

only need 25, have 3 extra.

Figured out the +3 means there will be 3 left when done. :D

Everything is soldered except the .1uf in the slaves.
I need an order from mouser anyway, if you give me a part number I can pick some up.

joel

Everything soldered now. Still missing the .1 caps.
Only had 28 560 ohm resistors, needed 33. One for power and 32 for LEDs in slaves
I just used ones I already had.

Performed the tests, and everything worked. Yipeeee.

Soldered in the RJ45s, screw sockets, and xtall headers.

Awaiting further instructions. 8)

j1sys

Joel et al -

Apologies for parts count problem. Joel has already found a few fixes that the documentation SHOULD have let you know.

We did miscalculate (and mislabel) the 104 .1uf capacitors. See below.

Joel did find some more 1x stock. We still may be wrong on count we will double check and advise fix. See below.

On soldering, we have found that the boards do take a little higher temperature and time than we usually use. It is a gold deposited board and there is a chance of a film left on it that we did not see in our testing. We will look into this and advise.

As Joel has found most small parts were packed with extra parts (i.e. 33+3) in case of needing a spare because of assembly errors or if we miscounted by 1 or 2 in packaging. It wasn't enough to take care of the REAL miscalculation of needed quantity on the 104 .1uf capacitors.

We will work on finishing the documentation on Monday and try to get it roughly completed that day. We have been so busy in the last few weeks preparing for the Carolina Christmas Convention that we have just completed this weekend. We will be returning home late Sunday night or early Monday morning after visiting a 1 year old's first birthday while we are here in North Carolina.

Plans for fix:

On Monday we will send extra needed parts to all purchasers in the USA and Canada via First Class Mail. It should only take 2-3 days for most customers but could be a little longer for Northwest USA.

On Monday I had a package that needed to be sent to AussiePhil via International Priority Mail. I will upgrade that to International Express mail and include packages for Phil to post with the Australian Postal System via First Class (?). Thanx to Phil for doing this for us/you.

-Ed

dmoore

Senior elf
Ed,

I've got my ECG8 all soldered together but I'm having what appear to be power issues. When I apply 3.3v, D01 LED lights only dimly and at the 3v3 test point, it reads 1.8v. When I power it with 5v and have J01/J02 jumped, the 5v test point reads 3.1v and the LED only dimly lights.

Any suggestions?

j1sys

David -

Please remove ALL shunts (jumpers) from DMXRen8 and remove the M24H if attached.

Then supply ONLY regulated 5VDC and ground to P3. Then check test points. TP2/TP1 should read 5VDC. TP3/TP1 should read 0v.

If it doesn't, i would disconnect power and remove ALL RS485 transceivers. They are the only thing besides the regulators and bias resistors that are on the 5VDC line. Then try again.

If it works 1st or 2nd time, then I would remove power and install J01/J02 shunts. Then reconnect 5VDC/Gnd and read test points. If they are correct we are at step one. If they are incorrect I would remove all the DIPS from their sockets and try again.

All LEDs will only be dim in room light but the 1.8V reading and 3.3v (on 5v) readings you are getting are confusing me. Is the TO-220 mounted with the tab to the outside of the board? any shorts in that area?

Please advise and we will proceed from there.

----

To All -

I am working on getting all the jumper definitions and finishing all the documentation ASAP. I've posted/combined all of the docs and tutorials on the DMXRen8 main product page for now and will be adding much more information to it today.

I've had two frustrating days since returning from the convention trying to acquire all the ICs needed for a production run of DR4 (and supplies in the pipeline for future). There is a worldwide shortage on two of the main ICs needed and a third one is not easily available but is ok right now. I spent a lot of time evaluating other options and once decided spent over $7k to acquire a reasonable supply of parts to insure the ability to produce product on demand. One reason for the large dollar amount is one chip was only available in full reels of 2,000 so even though it was a relatively inexpensive chip it still cost a fair chunk of change to acquire.

-Ed

j1sys

New assembly manual uploaded to our site. Please take a look at it. Added the rest of the assembly process and defined all jumpers and how to mount the M24H.

Uploading schematics in a few minutes.

Working on a quick & dirty configuration video to help answer a lot of your questions. Expect to upload it to our site later tonight EST USA.

All links temporarily stored near the top of the DMXRen8 product information page. We will setup a download and support area soon.

-Ed

mschell

Full time elf
I've got my ECG-DMXRen8 with only 4 slaves up and running. And Ed's package of more parts showed up today, but since I only am populating 4 of the slaves initially, I wasn't short any caps.

dmoore, I'd check all the things that Ed mentioned. I never had any issues with power or LEDs during assembly. The original assembly manual had several checkpoints where power was applied and the LED's watched. Each time I hit one of those checkpoints, everything was OK. I typically also check some of the Vcc voltages on the chip sockets before I put the chips in place.

With the gold contacts on the board, I found that sometimes some of the connections thru the solder holes didn't always make it all the way to the other side of the board, even on the high heat setting on my soldering iron. I sometimes had to heat the pad/hole on the component side to ensure a good joint.

Still working thru the E1.31 setup in LSP to get the ECG to talk to a controller, but been real busy with work.