Extending cable from light string to transformer

Anastasia sidiropoulos

Anastasia (Stacey)
Good evening all, just wanted some guidance on how everyone extends their cables to enable transformers to reach undercover? I many not be clear in how I’m asking this. Most fairy lights (and other types of Christmas lights) only have lead lengths from last bulb to transformer of about 5 meters these days. How do I get a connector lead to extend it to say 10 or so meters to enable me to place the lights far enough away from the transformer? Are people just cutting the lines and joining new cable? If so where are you purchasing the cables from?
The connector ends that I am having issues with are the ones with two pins. The ones with a dc plug I have plenty of extension cables for.
Hoping you can help. Anastasia

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
It's unlikely that you'll find ready made extensions with the 2 pin connectors.

Can you or someone you know solder? If not, you could always use terminal blocks to join a longer section of wire into the existing length.

Anastasia sidiropoulos

Anastasia (Stacey)
It's unlikely that you'll find ready made extensions with the 2 pin connectors.

Can you or someone you know solder? If not, you could always use terminal blocks to join a longer section of wire into the existing length.
Am I able to buy wire to join on to the lights? And does shrink tube do a similar job? I know how to cut and join as such, just don’t have soldering equipment.

StevenAndrews

New elf
I wondered this as well, so David you are saying one can just cut and then solder and then heatshrink the wires, like i used to do for my car stereo wiring to extend the cables from last bulb to transformers? I mean beyond the power plug that goes into 240V its all 12V right? so no more dangerous then soldering up car wiring.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Sure, that should be no problem at all.

I have done that with the Big W LED strings with no issue, effectively adding 25 metres of cable to to them.

Anastasia sidiropoulos

Anastasia (Stacey)
Finally found some 10 meter extension leads with the two pins. Lexi lighting stocks them and so far they have been a perfect connection to many of my new lights. What a relief!!

StevenAndrews

New elf
I am wanting to extend not just string lights but Motif rope lights too so as pictured

62989890910__35E8D451-3750-457B-9DEA-856CFB58EC6B.JPG

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

So there seems to be 2 in but up to six out.

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
As your length, or the current increases, so must your wire size. You'll want stranded wire. Some types that can be used are two core appliance wire (think lights), or speaker cable. Extension cords can be cut and used as well. If you are not sure of the gauge or type of wire needed, take the transformers in with you. The transformers will either have the current or power marked on them. The folks in the shop should be able to determine what will work best for you. You'll also need to let them know how long the extensions need to be.

Another option may be to use an extension cord between the wall and transformer.

Anastasia sidiropoulos

Anastasia (Stacey)

Anastasia you mean the above lights? youve found they connect in to many different brands?
Yes I’ve used them on a few brands and they’ve worked. I’ve stocked up on a few
for future purchases. Let’s hope they don’t change the connection again.
Kind regards
Anastasia