Extracting frames from video

Hi all... I am looking for an easy way to extract frames from a video. I want to make pics of phonems for singing faces from a singing pumpkin video... If that makes any sense at all.

I mainly use MacOs... but can use a pc if necessary.

cheers, and hopefully this is posted in the right pace.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Corel Video Studio was easy to use. 1 month free trial. I was able to use it to edit a ordinary video & make it look much better. Only thing with the trial is limits the hdmi output. Didn't bother me. If you wanted to out put to hdmi I would just save it to file and play from there. Thanks Ryan for putting me onto this program. https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/pro/
0.jpg

Boof63

Senior elf
Microsoft Movie Maker, allows you cut out and leave the frames that you want, a little fiddly but straight forward once you have
played with it for a bit (probably video somewhere on net- never thought to look).
Also its free.

Cheers Boof63

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Have updated the WIKI that include video editing software. Check the Software section for a list of known available video editing programs, many Open Source (free).

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
OK, seeing as Keith and Daryl have suggested ffmpeg, I've added it to the wiki.

marmalade

cats & pixels
vlcplayer.. you can simply pause the video and tell it to save out the screenshot (F12 iirc). Has a version for mac.

Or pc, just use mediaplayer, pause the video and use snipping tool :)

drakky

Senior elf
pinnacle studio does it easily it also allows you to extract audio tracks off videos, add video tracks ,edit videos add transitions and special effects and if you're using xLights you'll find it very similar and easy to use

Last edited:

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
If you have Vixen you could just add the video to a matrix then goto the Vixen video folder and it will have the selected video as individual bitmap images, just pick the ones you need. The resolution will be depended on Matrix size but no need for any other software as Vixen has ffmpeg built in.