Factory/factories tour of pixel, panel etc manufacturers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Leigh (???) and David Peace (Peace stakes, Pixel2Things, pixel.report, xlightscustommodelbuilder) from Experience Lights did a factory tour in March 2023. A few weeks ago they posted a video of their tour. Included in the tour is visits to Scottled (Scott Liu), Etop (Paul Zhang), Shenzen Rita (Ray Wu) as well as visits to a panel manufacturer, the Clickits manufacturer, a moving head lights manufacturer and others. It's an amazing video that shows some behind the scenes of the manufacture of pixels, the testing procedures, epoxying, making pigtails and lots more. It shows just how labour intensive a lot of the manufacturing processes are.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAhI841nFE

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Amazing video and really nice to see behind the curtains a little. Thanks for sharing!

fugley

Apprentice elf
they ALL appear to be stressing we NOW use better quality products

and at the end of the day know matter whoever you prefer to buy from your probably buying exactly the same problem as all is out sourced, so if there's a problem with a chip id say Ray Wu will lose out as he appears to be the largest seller

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
they ALL appear to be stressing we NOW use better quality products
Interestingly this was filmed in early last year, before ETop had all the failures. You can see that Ray was looking pretty down and out after his belting, whereas PZ was a lot more upbeat. That could just be their personal demeanor however.
Interesting also to see that 100% of his sales are for the hobby, whereas we only contribute 80% to Ray. I wonder how that affects things such as quality.

fugley

Apprentice elf
Interestingly this was filmed in early last year, before ETop had all the failures. You can see that Ray was looking pretty down and out after his belting, whereas PZ was a lot more upbeat. That could just be their personal demeanor however.
Interesting also to see that 100% of his sales are for the hobby, whereas we only contribute 80% to Ray. I wonder how that affects things such as quality.
had wondered the way Ray was looking, first thought was you need to get out the office and get a hobby maybe not this one lol

sales wise im not sure if that's a good or bad thing, maybe bad for them to have all the eggs in one basket and good for the customer ?
if they don't look after there customer there dead in the water, sad but true

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Watching those pixel factory tours with all the manual work and epoxy pouring and testing they'll skip if they're behind schedule makes me think even more strongly that the LED module with the chip built in is more likely the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMjhJ9kcaU4

When I saw the Strange Parts video I was mortified that rejects essentially just get sold as seconds and someone else uses them. There's also, what appears to me, a very high failure rate.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
When I saw the Strange Parts video I was mortified that rejects essentially just get sold as seconds and someone else uses them. There's also, what appears to me, a very high failure rate.
If you're only using the LED as an indicator, red/green/blue, and the specific colour reproduction is not critical, then they'd be fine.

I've yet to take them apart (my daughter would kill me), but it appears some of the toys now have these WS2812 etc LEDs in them; easy control from a simple microcontroller. This would be a perfect use for the non-colour accurate ones, especially at a cheaper price point.

Reactions: AAH