Falcon F16v2 E1.31 pixel controller

i13

Dedicated elf
The F16v2's strong points that it can control MASSIVE numbers of pixels at a similar total price to other controllers that can't handle anywhere near as many. It has an on-board screen too. It also works with coaxial cable to extend the distance to the first WS2811 or WS2812B pixel. 16 outputs of 680 pixels expandable to 32 outputs of 340 pixels each. You're likely to need power injection to take full advantage of this capacity.

See the controller comparison http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/
and http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
The other advantage is the virtual string capability. Say you have strip and pixels on the same output and want to turn down the intensity on just the strip. Set up virtual strings and turn down just the the strip. Also say you have a mini tree with folded strings and a star on top on the same output so you want zig zag for part of the output but not the other part. Virtual string setup to the rescue again.

scamper

Dedicated elf
mararunr said:
The other advantage is the virtual string capability. Say you have strip and pixels on the same output and want to turn down the intensity on just the strip. Set up virtual strings and turn down just the the strip. Also say you have a mini tree with folded strings and a star on top on the same output so you want zig zag for part of the output but not the other part. Virtual string setup to the rescue again.

One other advantage of the virtual string capability that I found by accident, Is if you (as I did) use left over strips from different suppliers and the colours are mixed up, ie one strip is RGB and the other is BRG, you just set up a virtual string for however many pixels are one brand, set the colour and then set a virtual string for the rest of the pixels and set the colour for that.
Much easier than pulling all of the strips apart and re doing them.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for the info. Not sure I saw what the expansion board does? More outputs I guess?

darylc

404 darylc not found
djgra79 said:
Thanks for the info. Not sure I saw what the expansion board does? More outputs I guess?

Expansion board gives you (in total) 32 outputs, 340 pixels/output. Without expansion you have 16 outputs, 680 pixels/output.

The expansion board can significantly simplify power distribution in my experience.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
scamper said:
At this stage I don't require another.
But if there is anyone newbies or otherwise that are considering their options, I can 100% vouch for this board.
You can do away with any other dmx dongle etc as you can run your computer or Pi straight into this and run pixels or dumb strips out. It is the best thing since sliced bread.
Jump on it I say!

I have always wondered what was the best thing before sliced bread????

pookie

New elf
After a little advice. I am new here and am looking at getting into pixels. Me question is:

"If I purchase one of these controllers, can I use it to run my old dumb kmart lights. I want to keep running these lights and slowly introduce new pixels, thinking of starting with a few stars and mini trees."

Due to budget I do not want to have to purchase a second controller to run the old lights. I understand that it would be overkill running the old lights on this controller but it is a way to start feeding my CLAP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

darylc

404 darylc not found
pookie said:
After a little advice. I am new here and am looking at getting into pixels. Me question is:

"If I purchase one of these controllers, can I use it to run my old dumb kmart lights. I want to keep running these lights and slowly introduce new pixels, thinking of starting with a few stars and mini trees."

Due to budget I do not want to have to purchase a second controller to run the old lights. I understand that it would be overkill running the old lights on this controller but it is a way to start feeding my CLAP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to ACL.

I don't believe such a controller exists sadly.

i13

Dedicated elf
Sorry if I am getting off topic here.

The F16v2 can output DMX data for a second controller that can support your dumb store bought lights. They'll need a different power supply but the second controller doesn't need to be an expensive one. http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/HD712 This controller takes a bit more work to get going but it is very reliable.