Falcon F16v4 without pi

ARL120384

New elf
Good evening everyone,

I'm very new to all of this and have had success setting everything up and my sequences loaded with the help from some of the xlights zoom guys.

I am running an F16v4 without a pi, but with a local SD card. I will be adding another remote controller for another section of my house, and want to do this without a pi so everything cam operate wirelessly, due to the complexities of adding everything to a switch and running the associated ethernet.

With that said, there is some functionality I appear to lose with xlights. Specifically "send to lights" and the test functions. I am able to upload output without issue, and when using FPP connect, everything appears to work as it should, but it doesn't upload a sequence to my v4, I have to manually upload the .fseq file. After that, everything works great.

I'm sure the advice will be to add the pi, but is there a way to make all this work without, and does anyone here operate the v4 like I am?

I appreciate all the info!

keithsw1111

Senior elf
The sequence should upload. Are you getting an error. There was a fix in the most recent xlights but I am not sure exactly what it was fixing.

ARL120384

New elf
I suppose its possible that it did upload, but on the falcon UI, it didn't show under the file manager like a manual upload like I assume it should. There were no errors at all.

ARL120384

New elf
I just up loaded the latest firmware 27 just in case. It appears no changes. I know the pi is the standard, but with these new controllers, I think the future is a self contained player/controller. Just trying to figure it out and make sure I'm not missing anything.

Last edited:

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I know the pi is the standard, but with these new controllers, I think the future is a self contained player/controller
For very basic operations they work. That said, I think it's a stretch to say that it's the future as the Falcon Player and/or xSxhedule players are far more capable with loads of other things the barebones Microcontroller based controllers are capable of.

The above, however, stands true for the Beagle and Pi FPP / Linux based controllers where ultimately their are running the complete show player software self contained

ARL120384

New elf
For very basic operations they work. That said, I think it's a stretch to say that it's the future as the Falcon Player and/or xSxhedule players are far more capable with loads of other things the barebones Microcontroller based controllers are capable of.

The above, however, stands true for the Beagle and Pi FPP / Linux based controllers where ultimately their are running the complete show player software self contained
Yeah I get that. I had already bought a pi, so I'm going to add that into the mix. My only concern initially with running a pi and 2 controllers, was the ability to run completely wireless. I can't run ethernet between my controllers so the thought of having the sequence loaded locally on the controller and using internet for small data packets was appealing, so I'm still hoping I can still accomplish this somehow.

ARL120384

New elf
Update. I'm not sure what changed, but FPP connect is now working. But the test function and output to lights are still not.

BluePat

New elf
Update. I'm not sure what changed, but FPP connect is now working. But the test function and output to lights are still not.
did you happen to update xlights??
I updated tonight and in the notes one of the fixes was this ------>> 2023.15 Oct 2, 2023 -- bug (scott) Fix falcon v4 upload of sequences

ARL120384

New elf
did you happen to update xlights??
I updated tonight and in the notes one of the fixes was this ------>> 2023.15 Oct 2, 2023 -- bug (scott) Fix falcon v4 upload of sequences
I didn't update it but I'm running the most current version. Maybe my mac did an auto update of the app that I wasn't aware of.