Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Spent some of today making a candy cane. These are made using 2801 modules from Ray and controlled by one of his $16 controllers. As a test I spent the rest of the Day sequencing it to a song in LSP. I must say sequencing Pixels in a smaller group was a lot of fun.

canes

Benslights

Dedicated elf
job well done Steve. Mine are nearly there also just need to glue the modules in the coro and away i go.

Timon

Apprentice elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
I spent the rest of the Day sequencing it to a song in LSP. I must say sequencing Pixels in a smaller group was a lot of fun.
canes

Might I ask which version of the song that is? I'd like to use it as well.

Thanks

John

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Timon said:
ѕυρєямαη said:
I spent the rest of the Day sequencing it to a song in LSP. I must say sequencing Pixels in a smaller group was a lot of fun.
canes

Might I ask which version of the song that is? I'd like to use it as well.

Thanks

John

"Sugar Plum Fairy Remix" by "The Groove Gallery"

Its available on i-tunes and amazon

kane

Dedicated elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
"Sugar Plum Fairy Remix" by "The Groove Gallery"
This song was actually made especially for Christmas Lights - Kym (Messages on Hold) was sick of his videos being taken down by youtube, so he got that song done especially.

Timon

Apprentice elf
I guess that's why it's the only christmas song from them on iTunes. To bad as some of the others are nice as well.

dhuffty

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
TheQueb said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
1: Make a string of 8 modules with the male plug connected to the input side and the female connected to the output side with a lead long enough so that it will then connect to the next candy cane (distance limitations apply, generally max of 3 to 4 metres)

On the 3 to 4 meters max... Is that between canes or max for the whole set of canes?

Thats between canes as the pixel IC regenerates the signal. You could get further distance by placing a dummy pixel in between to regenerate the signal and extend the range between the canes even further

Eddy - I'm a novice with Pixels so can you point me to some educational info on pixels. I know how CCR works in LOR as I have those. I know how RGB pixels can work with DMX and individual controllers, but I don't know how you set up these pixels and then use a controller to work them. Help please.

Thanks.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dhuffty said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
TheQueb said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
1: Make a string of 8 modules with the male plug connected to the input side and the female connected to the output side with a lead long enough so that it will then connect to the next candy cane (distance limitations apply, generally max of 3 to 4 metres)

On the 3 to 4 meters max... Is that between canes or max for the whole set of canes?

Thats between canes as the pixel IC regenerates the signal. You could get further distance by placing a dummy pixel in between to regenerate the signal and extend the range between the canes even further

Eddy - I'm a novice with Pixels so can you point me to some educational info on pixels. I know how CCR works in LOR as I have those. I know how RGB pixels can work with DMX and individual controllers, but I don't know how you set up these pixels and then use a controller to work them. Help please.

Thanks.

Start with the ACL lighting 101 manual , that should get you started. Then the chat room is also a good place to ask some questions as well

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
barbotte said:
derekbackus said:
After seeing this thread, I went on a search. Found the RGB lights here: holidaycoro.com . They're just $1.29US... seemed cheap to me.

Derek
i am not sure but i think those one are not pixel led ( individual adressable )...it look like dum rgb ..pice is only for 1 module .. but price is so good i wish someone would comment and share their expertize before i buy some
cheer
These are not pixel based modules you can get the 2801 pixel based module from Ray for $1 a piece
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-526598440/WS2801IC-5050-3LEDS-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

You can actually get the dumb modules for 55-59cents a piece from Ray Wu's store which is great price as they are normally around the 70 cents mark
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-423203782/promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

The square modules for 74cents a piece and you may be able to get ray down in price on these now.
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-423203782/promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

I would now use the 2811 modules for this project due to the lower cost and 1 less wire needed. At 70 cents each ($14 for a string of 20) they are great value and help make this project even cheaper than before

JPB

Full time elf
I would now use the 2811 modules for this project due to the lower cost and 1 less wire needed. At 70 cents each ($14 for a string of 20) they are great value and help make this project even cheaper than before

Eddy, what would you use to drive them, especially in a small quantity like candy canes?