Fasteddys RGB Grass Poles - Basic Instructions

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Another display element i created was a grass matrix/columns. These were angled so they would not block of the rest of the display but at the same time show the full strip. It filled up a nice piece of the front lawn and I was able to create some nice effects with this feature

Untitled

These can be made to what ever size is desirable. i made mine using 1.5 metres of strip per pole which was 15 pixels each.

The parts used are:

*3 x digital pixel strip
*7 lengths of conduit
*10 conduit elbows
*cable ties
*corex sheet
*silicone and hot glue
*10 male and female 4 pin plugs
*2 male and female 2 pin plugs for power injection

[attachimg=1]

Construction is very simple by just attaching the strip to each length of conduit with cable ties and connecting each section to eachother with plugs and then silicon in place a small strip of corex over the strip to disperse the light.

The other great thing about this construction is that its easy to remove from your front lawn to allow for the lawn to be cut (maybe not an issue for our US freinds)

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• grass2.JPG
    grass2.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • grass 1.JPG
    grass 1.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,064

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
wow, so simple to create but very very nice effects in the display. I may consider something similar for my roof.

i actually didn't realise from your vids there was corex used there also. wow, ideas are brewing!!!

Boof63

Senior elf
Eddy i am so impressed, simple designs , but so effective!!!!
I'll have candy canes down the front and these stripes on my roof (i hope the finance officer is happy with this!!) :D :D :D

cheers Boof63

Ps what software are you using for sequencing please?

Slite

Full time elf
Wow! Amazing...

So simple, but yet so good looking. Definitly want to have some of those.

So many many many plans, so little time! :)

/Stefan

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
wow, thats amazing. You really have some great and unique ideas. I might have to borrow some ideas for myself :p

Benslights

Dedicated elf
these were a great effect eddy love the piano keys as my family called them. did you just push the conduit into the ground or did you use something else to keep them in place??

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yagoona lights said:
these were a great effect eddy love the piano keys as my family called them. did you just push the conduit into the ground or did you use something else to keep them in place??

These were just pushed into the ground. To help make it easier for removal and refitting i did use the joining ends of the conduit that i had spare and I stuck that in the ground and then fitted the conduit into the join. If you look closely at the straight up pieces, they all have a conduit join at the base. I then used a tent peg for the strip end conduit end, but this wasnt really needed as it was also dug in.

Boof63

Senior elf
sorry to keep asking questions but:-
can you be specific on the what sort of digital strip please (link even if u know it).
How do you inject power??

cheers Boof63

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Boof63 said:
sorry to keep asking questions but:-
can you be specific on the what sort of digital strip please (link even if u know it).
How do you inject power??

cheers Boof63

It really doesnt matter which strip is used as long as its weatherproof

But for these i used the 6803 strip with solid silicone coating mainly due to the price and being 12vdc
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-470258603/5m-IP68-LPD6803-led-dream-color-strip-DC12V-input-can-be-used-in-the-water-30leds.html

I now plan on using the 2801 strip as its now available in 12vdc and at a good price.
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-519162566/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-12pcs-IC-and-36pcs-5050-SMD-RGB.html

Refer to this thread about injecting power
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1744.0.html

Boof63

Senior elf
thanks eddy for all your help and input, for us noobs and non electronic types, its all been a great help (this applies to all answers i have had through these forums- thankyou to everyone!!)

cheers Boof63 :D :D

Slite

Full time elf
Are the coro sheets just hotglued in place on top of the strip, or have you fastened them with tiewraps or something else?