First Medium Tree installed

starzen

New elf
very happy

finally got my first pixel tree set up and it all seems to work. Don't want to call it a mega tree because it is only about 10 foot tall so it is a medium tree ;-)

Sadly I don't have a lot of real estate in front of my house so I have to limit things so they fit. Although my neighbors don't mind me taking over their yards as well

I built mine from info from here and other sites. Made a modified portable hole (just made it a little smaller) and used a 3/4 inch black pipe (heavy sucker).

3 guy wires just to be on the safe side as it is highly accessible to people and right next to the sidewalk

used a tree topper with 24 hooks but only filled 16 of them for a 270 degree tree.

16 string made from black plastic strapping (have a few thousand feet left over ..) with 40 5V pixels each. Power injected between each string at the bottom.

the bottom is made with electrical conduit. Not quite a circle but good enough ...

added a star on top with 50 pixels on it as well. Using a J1SYS P2

had one little hiccup because I marked 2 strings the wrong direction and didn't notice until I was finished so the first string was down instead of up but luckily I could just take that string off and move it to the other end of the tree and just twist the tree a few degrees.

today I will still need to secretly trim the neighbors tree because it covers the view a little .... no they don't mind

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Electrical conduit is terrible stuff to use as the base ring, I know this first hand as well.
One thing I did was tie 4 locations of the ring to the center pole to Round it up a bit.
Not perfect but a lot better then the oval I first had.

starzen

New elf
Superman said:
Electrical conduit is terrible stuff to use as the base ring, I know this first hand as well.
One thing I did was tie 4 locations of the ring to the center pole to Round it up a bit.
Not perfect but a lot better then the oval I first had.

the circle isn't too bad. I drew a circle on the garage floor and bent two half circles from conduit. I could have gotten a nice circle if I had spent more time on it but i decided it was 'good enough'.

thought about using other things but the conduit seemed to be the easiest and it could withstand some force to tension the strings.

i put hooks into the conduit and connected the strings with small bungees and then used bungee cords to hook the conduit ring to hooks in the ground.