First order

Madko

Full time elf
Hey guys,

Just made my first contact with ray via email to request a purchase.

I have decided that I'm to start out with the following and build from there. Below is what I have chose to purchase:

2x http://www.aliexpress.com/item/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-
[/size]output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/289599951.html
[/size]
[/size]4x [/size]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-
[/size]5050-SMD-RGB/568458133.html
[/size]
[/size]Running all this on a ECG-P12R ( yet to be purchased)
[/size]
[/size]I was going to purchase the 10 lot of male/female pig tails but was unsure if the 0.5mm core was sufficient? How much current can
[/size]0.5mm carry. I was thinking of just running 1.5mm everywhere and just solder and heat shrink directly to lights then straight back to the
[/size]board.
[/size]
[/size]Anyway, hope this is a good start!?

Madko

Full time elf
Sorry about that here it is again. Hopefully better!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/289599951.html
[/size]
[/size]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/568458133.html
[/size]
[/size]Cheers
[/size]

Madko

Full time elf
Hello YL, no I don't have the controller yet. Do you think there is a better option?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
what controller are you looking at??

a bit more detail on what you would like to do wit hthem would help people give ideas and direction. as always good to learn from others mistakes

Madko

Full time elf
I thought about starting small for starters, like leaping arches or coro-stars. Using the 2811 12v strip running off a ECG-P12R.

My 2012 display consisted of 240v rope lights, 31vdc LED strings and 240v mofits. The plan is to slowly move over to all E1.31 system. Initially adding a little E1.31 component like the arches or stars and then once I have the hang of it all, then move everything else over…..slowly. This way its not a massive hit to the hip pocket.

If I can help it, I would like to keep with just one system without having 240V LOR, DMX system and E1.31 system running all at once.

Hope this gives a bit more of an insight to what I want to achieve!

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Madko have you looked at the p2 it is a smaller version of the p12r. sounds like you are doing is smart testing it all out one season then working from there.

Madko

Full time elf
Hello Jeffl, the reason for choosing the one that I did was purely due to the voltage rating which in turn refers to the current also. Both 12v and 5v strips have pros and cons, so you have to give and take. I went with the 12v as I didn't want to have voltage drop issues down the track, govern by distance ( within reason). Also the current rating is alot less with 12v. 12v is 3.2amps where the 5v is 11.5amp. That's a big difference and will require larger gauge cable. Also I didn't want to start power injecting at this stage since I'm a newbie and wanted to keep it simple. I hope I'm correct in what I'm saying so if anyone can see an error please let me know or has my hours of reading starting to pay off?

YL- I looked at the P2 but thought for the extra dollars I can get a lot more universes for down the track. However thanks for reminding me again as I did forget about it and it's probably a good cheaper option especially when I'm starting out. I'll give it another read.

I haven't yet purchased anything yet. I have only made contact with ray and I'm clarifing my order so I still have a chance to change things. These questions and replys are really helping. Thanks heaps!

YL- do you think I should throw in some pig tails to my Ray order. I wasn't going to due to the fact that pig tails only come in 0.5mm core thinkness. Are there any thicker ones as I couldn't see them?

Cheers

Benslights

Dedicated elf
madko i would get plug tails we all use them. also in regards to the p2 it will do 8 universes. but just depends on your setup what one is best for you.

drakky

Senior elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
madko i would get plug tails we all use them. also in regards to the p2 it will do 8 universes. but just depends on your setup what one is best for you.

sorry this might be dumb but how does the P2 connect to 8 universes?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Drakky the p2 is a pixel controller and has 2 outputs on. if you connect the pixels end to end up to 4 universes per output ( and inject power as needed ) so you can just connect up to 4 universes of pixels together

drakky

Senior elf
hmm ok I saw only 2 outputs on the board so I presumed it was only 2 universes , I was thinking of getting the P12 also not that I would be using much of it for this year or maybe even next year so it's a bit of overkill but the cost is only $60 extra roughly over the P2 plus fused outputs and 2 power buses so I'm thinking like Madko a bit there for future expansion