First pixels Mega tree attempt

Phillhutcho

New elf
Hi, I am new to pixels but looking to start with a 180 degree mega tree at the front of the house. I am looking at aprox 3.3m from ground to peak and then will look at a star on top. Approx 1600mm across the base, I am trying to work out if 16 strips would be enough or need more?
I will be ordering the falcon f16v3 and my thought is for this year to just spread the tree across the controller to avoid power injection.
Viewing distance is around 5m would you suggest 2 or 3 inch spacing?
Can anyone see any issue with this setup or any tips from your experience?
Any tips on where to order pixels from at this time of year? (I know i have left this really late but the wife has just allowed it for this yearrather than waiting for next year.)

Thanks in advance for any tips

Front of house lights withtree.jpg

abundy

Full time elf
Hi Phill,
I have a similar setup for my mega tree.
16 strings of 50 pixels set at 2 inch spacings (every second hole on the pixel mounting strips)
270 degree tree about 3.75 meters high.
It is about 2 meters from the road but best viewed from across the road. It is enough for my little display.IMG_3437.JPG

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
HI Phil and you have a nice looking display and I am sure a RGB Pixel Tree would add some great wow factor

Regarding a Mega Tree we did provided some information in this thread about how we made another Mega Tree late last year and it may give you some tips

Regarding size, yes a 16 Strand x 50 pixels @ 2 inch spacing would be ok, however if your budget and time allows increasing it to say 24 Stands will aid with some images etc on the Mega Tree (and or course 32 or 36 strands would be even better again).

If you wish to reduce the need for power injection I would suggest 12v pixels and this Vendor seems to be shipping from Chine to Australia within 1 week or so according to some people

I would suggest ordering them with xConnect connectors and as well as ordering xConnect pigtails and possibly pre-made extensions

You will need pixel mounting strips as well to push the pixels into

You may want to consider also a Mega Tree Topper from Booy

Also also try and source a old trampoline frame for a tree base etc

I would suggest 2 x Meanwell PSU as a minimum

Plus you will need a enclosure to mount the controller / PSU's in etc,

Time frame to complete prior to December may be tricky, but with a few sold days and a couple of late nights :) you may get there

Hope that helps

Last edited:

bpratt

Senior elf
I did a 16 strand, 100 pixels high 50mm spacing for my first year last year. I am upgrading it this year to 24 strand tree, as the definition of images on the tree was just not great.
I could see what the images were, but many had troubles to recognise what they were instantly.

Also a lot of sequences these days are designed to work with 24 strand mega trees.

As Simon said, 12 volts will be easier to set up for a mega tree than 5v for your first year.

Going to be a bit of work for you to be ready this year, but it will be worth it.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I did a 24 strip one 5V, 18 deg with a portable hole on my concrete driveway, decent pole, star on top. Turned out good I think, it hasn't blown away. :) Used Booy's topper which was easy to use, and winch up and down as per LDLs junior mega tree design.

Note if you use the boscoyo strip and fold the ends to make it stronger you'll only get 46 pixels in it. I extended mine but had to order more strip to do that. Before that it was 4 null pixels per strip and set up was a PITA.

Mine runs of a receiver, 3 ports of 400 (24 x 50) and star 90 pixels on port 4. I then power injected with two falcon power injection boards. Might be overkill but it's well fused. :) and if I accidently run it full on, it will still work if the PSU holds out that is.

I found 24 strips worked better with RGB sequences mega tree as he used a lot of faces/gifs etc that didn't look great on 16 strips. I have sequenced a few on my own but also bought a few and found the strip hasn't caused any issues.

I got my pixels from ETOP (Paul or Tom Zhang), the posted up recently about delivery times, I found them pretty quick with their express shipping.

20201020_100507042_iOS (Small).jpg

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
I would just go with 50 pixels per strand and keep it easy and use the premade strings with attached pigtails. you will be busy building other items and using the pre-made strings will save you time

Snitz87

Lights on Temira
Generous elf
I went down the route of ordering all my lights in rolls of 500 and counted out everything and cut and solided on pigtails.

Doing it this was has some positives and negatives.

Positive - I know each string of lights is exactly the right length, it is cheaper doing it yourself, and I found when making my own leads I preferred the look of them over the premade cables. Plus it was fun making everything myself.

Negatives - It takes time. I started working on counting and cutting lenghts of lights in July and finished in August. Making leads I only just finished last week and we started them in September. Granted I could have worked longer days and more then just 3-4 days a week and I was working with about 6500 pixels but time was a big thing.

I don't want to discourage you to doing things the way you want, but if you still haven't ordered your lights yet premade might be the best bet. That way it just becomes plug and play.