First timer Hello

closetnerd88

New elf
Hi Everyone. My names Chloe and my husband and I have decided to do up the house for Christmas this year.

We've decided to have a real Christmas tree and I'm starting research on the best way to set up our house and planning a design. It won't be a super duper Christmas fun fair but it will still be special for us.

I look forward to sharing this with everyone and hope to get some handy hints.

Chloe

mborg10

Michael Borg
G'day Chloe, welcome to ACL. This is the best place to learn about all things blinky. It is late in the season to be starting to plan a display for this year but nothing is impossible. Whereabouts are you located.

closetnerd88

New elf
We are in Western Sydney.

I think we should be ok as we only want to go for something small to start with. It was a last minute decision (obviously). But our kids will love it.

I'm looking through all those handy links that got sent to me when I signed up as well.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I am in western Sydney as well. Claremont meadows near penrith. Your more than welcome to pay a visit, check out my show and I can show you a few things and my set up

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome49.png

mborg10

Michael Borg
This is my setup so far. I work in it pretty much everyday testing and getting it ready for dec 1
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=6584

closetnerd88

New elf
Did you do a music show last year? I heard about a good show in Claremont Meadows but we never ended up getting there to check it out.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah that would be me. Didn't run the whole month only a few days cause I left it too late and suppliers let me down. And I did the year before as well.

closetnerd88

New elf
We are just looking at a couple of lines around the front verandah and garage. Maybe a blow up decoration or 2 on the front lawn.

I'm looking through threads now and it seems the local christmas shop is really expensive compared to big w or bunnings.

closetnerd88

New elf
How much is a DC controller? I checked out the website in your signature but I have no idea about any of that stuff.

To see if I've got this right, you cut the plug off the end of the string and then hard wire it onto the DC and then power the DC?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I sell the DC48 controller which is 48 DC channels. You can control 24 2-channel Big W strings off that.

You'd also need a USB dongle to get the data from the PC to the controller. This can talk to lots of DC controllers so you only need one.

To power the system, I use a 30V power supply. A single SP-240-30 unit is enough to run up to 30 of the Big W strings. The ACL member price on that power supply is about $100.

A bit of cable and a CAT5 patch lead rounds out the hardware.

Apart from that, you'll need some sequencing software. There's a few choices, but personally I recommend Light-O-Rama S3 Advanced version. There are free ones around, but I know that LOR S3 is very easy to get started with.

Hope that helps.