First timer saying hello from Sydney

Monty85

New elf
Hi all,

I've just found this website while trying to research for some help on where to get started. Here's me thinking I'm getting in early and i've already found posts saying starting in September is leaving it too late :D

Plan is to start small and keep automations basic but I also want to make sure my purchases are still usable for when i tackle more elaborate things in the years to come.

Goal for this year is to do some basic perimeter lighting around the house and roof and a few things around the front facade (wraping lights around poles, etc).

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start looking to make my first purchases? Is online generally the way to go?

JacksonHo

New elf
Hi and welcome,

I started small last year and late. Most of my planning, buying and installing was done in the last weeks of November and tweaked how I went. I've got a bit of a background in programming and electronics so that made it a bit easier but to be honest people answering here and in the chat were what made things work for me. Head over to the chat when you get a chance and read the 101 manual. I've started in August this year as I already know where I want to improve my show and I enjoy it so might as well do it when I have time. My show won't go up until November regardless.

Best to buy all online assuming you want to do full controlled lighting rather than just normal lights from Bunnings / Kmart etc. I got a HE123 board and BBG from Hanson Electronics and most of the pixels, power supplies and cables from Light it Up LEDS.

You probably have time to buy from China if you really want seed pixels but otherwise for small amounts (a few thousand pixels) and in bullets you are getting the same sort of prices off Paul at Light it up as you do from China, plus Paul's service is awesome.

I did a lot of DIY props last year as I was doing roof lines, mini trees, matrixes and arches but if you have the cash you can buy a few things from Coro vendors to make it easier but some of us like to build stuff where we can.

Monty85

New elf
Thanks. Yeah been reading through the 101 manual already and came across a few ACL videos online which was good intro into what to expect.

No programming or electronic experience on my end so that side of things does seem a little bit intimidating but im sure it will get better with time.

I do want to start straight with controlled lighting rather than just standard stuff from bunnings like you mentioned. While I will keep my control very very basic this year I want to just jump in so that in the coming years I can actually have a go at a proper xmas light show.

Reassuring that you managed to get it done starting in November a well - gives me some hope I can pull this off :p

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf

bmh255

New elf
Generous elf
Welcome. Fantastic and helpful collection of people here that will help you along the way.
Target some achievable lights and props for your first outing, with maybe some backups you can add if all goes to plan before it’s time to turn them on.
Look forward to seeing how you go. Enjoy the hobby, that’s what it’s all about.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
I was in your spot last year. I think my first post was from September 22 and I had about $1,000 pixels by December and a few sequenced songs on the go.

Welcome and all the best!

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Welcome to the show!

Everyone starts off with different objectives for the first year but the sooner you can decide the easier it will become. This will be my third year of doing shows and I've learned a few things. This is your hobby, try not to stress over it too much. :)

No one ever seems to start early enough and most people feel like they are running out of time for the self limitation of when the show is going to start. It always takes longer than expecting when starting out and sometimes things don't work out to a planned schedule.

Not everything has to be ready on day 1 and no one but you will know. The biggest thing for my first year was a megatree. While most of my show went out a couple weeks before Christmas that first year my megatree did not go out until a few days before Christmas. In total, it was up for maybe a total of 4 weeks. last year I did better and this year I'll do better once more.

Design a layout in xLights before you get too far along the ordering path. When you design your show in xLights don't design it for just this year, design it for what you want it to look like in maybe 2 or 3 years. Then you can pick some of the key elements from the layout and start with those. My first year was all lawn props and a few snowflakes and a wreath on the house. Last year, I expanded the lawn and moved to house outlines and windows plus added more props to the house. This year I am expanding once more.

There are things we all need controllers, power supplies pixels etc. perhaps you already know you want some candy canes, snowflakes, arches and a few other things. it might be nice to order that and plan to order more but waiting until you designed a starting layout helps you better organize. Shipping coro props are expensive. The more you can bundle at one time the more you can save on shipping.

Come into the chat room, there are people monitoring the chat room it seems like 24/7. Some days are slower than others but if you are patient someone will eventually respond to a question.

Welcome once more!
Dean

Iain

Full time elf
Nothing to stop you playing around with XLights (or Vixen) while you wait either - get ahead on learning the app. You can skip right past the controller setup screen and go straight to your house model.

The most cost-effective cash I spent was paying a guy on fiverr $50 to design a house model for me which I could import into XLights. I measured every angle and edge, and sent photos and he sent back some object files which I could keep working on (but never have). It makes designing so much easier when you have a 3D model to work on, rather than black space.

If you can afford it, you don't need to build everything yourself. There are accessories to help you along the way - "Boscoyo strips" help you line up all your pixels, pre-made corflute props make it super easy to just add pixels. Save your building efforts for fitting it to your house/fence/yard.

Have a look at some other first-timer posts - the poster boy of first year efforts, and someone else starting now. There's a Sydney build party in a few days which would be well worth trying to get to just to see the hardware up close.

Finally, check out this post as well as local suppliers - they may have some left!

All the best!

Monty85

New elf
Thanks for the responses everyone, this really is a rabbit hole I've found myself in. :D

I don't know that i'll be far enough long this year to do anything that could classed as a "show" but it is something I want to have a go at in the years to come. This year I guess i all about understanding how the physical installation side of things work and what products I'll need before diving into anything elaborate and/or involving music.

If I can end up with a basic lighting display around the house edges that I can change the colour of i'll be happy :D

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Thanks for the responses everyone, this really is a rabbit hole I've found myself in. :D

I don't know that i'll be far enough long this year to do anything that could classed as a "show" but it is something I want to have a go at in the years to come. This year I guess i all about understanding how the physical installation side of things work and what products I'll need before diving into anything elaborate and/or involving music.

If I can end up with a basic lighting display around the house edges that I can change the colour of i'll be happy :D
If it blinks and flashes to music it's a show! No one has ever put a required minimum number of pixels to create a show. All it needs to do is make YOU happy that you put something together. It's a giddy feeling when you see your stuff light up for the first time. :D

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey there Monty, welcome to ACL. I am a bit late to the party with the welcomes, but welcome! I notice you're in Sydney - where abouts? There are a number of us here, scattered around.
The majority of people love showing off their displays and how they work, so feel free to get in touch with someone local and they'd be more than happy to give you a run through of how it all pieces together.