First Year - Opinions Wanted!!

Callaidyn

New elf
Hi Everyone,
I am new to automating lights this year and have LOR AC Controllers (only 48 channels). For the last 5 years we have been putting up a traditional Christmas lights display and so have A LOT of lights (rope light designs, etc.).
I was interested in people's opinions on whether, for my first year, I should just incorporate my automated sequences into my traditional Christmas lights display (therefore would make the traditional display have everything steady-on) or if I should only have the automated lights. My "draw-card" for my automated lights this year will be a singing Santa Face. My fear is that there won't be "enough" lights (now that I am used to going crazy with volume of lights each year) with 48 channels. I have seen a Youtube video that did the combo (but can't find it now) and thought it did look OK.
Anyone's thoughts/opinions? And, if you do this yourself (i.e not all automated), could you please post video/link to Youtube, etc. of how your display looks?
Thanks!!

mborg10

Michael Borg
I would go with full automation. For your first year it doesn't really matter a great deal on channel count especially with existing motif lights as they already have a shape. 16 channels can look really good. 48 is better. If you go down the path of mixing automated with non-automated, it's hard to build tension in a sequence with complete blackness.

Last year was my first year full automated with 48 channels. Everyone loved it. But was no means as big as a lot of others. This year I'll be mixing pixels with traditional lights.

Whatever you do everyone loves Christmas lights and being different is what creates interest. Get creative. Think how you want your show to look and go for it. Remember we are our own worst critics.

http://youtu.be/e4MzfbflkxM

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I don't sequence my lights to music, but I do run animations. I just hook everything to the controllers so I have full control over what display elements are on at any time.

This way I can use more (different) elements without having the display look too crowded (I don't have a large yard). I may only have 50% of the available lights active (static or flashing) at any time and I can mix and match what they are easily via the PC software (LOR S3 in my case).

Bird

LOR user
Do what's best for you.
Fully automated or
Traditional static with some motion.
I think you will find that neighbors will like whatever you put out there.
Example, static display with singing face would be a great start.
Personally, I started with 16 channels, it was easy to sequence once I figured things out, and it gave me easy room to grow making the display better each year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You may not want to actually sequence to music this year and instead just create some effects for your lighting if you still have a large amount of static lighting. There are no rules here, just what works for you. So only you can decide the best way forward and if mixing static lights and a music show together will work for your layout.

penguineer

Full time elf
A bit obvious, but have a look at your lights, have a look at your yard and plan it out.

Some thoughts:
- if there are areas of the yard that aren't visible from certain directions, maybe do a static display there?
- can you "frame" your animated show by putting static/uncontrolled lights around the edges?
- if there's a spot where people can see your animated show best can you use static lights to direct them there?

Whatever you do, kids love the blinky flashy.

Good luck!!

Cheers!

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Callaidyn said:
Hi Everyone,
I am new to automating lights this year and have LOR AC Controllers (only 48 channels). For the last 5 years we have been putting up a traditional Christmas lights display and so have A LOT of lights (rope light designs, etc.).
My fear is that there won't be "enough" lights (now that I am used to going crazy with volume of lights each year) with 48 channels. I have seen a Youtube video that did the combo (but can't find it now) and thought it did look OK.
Thanks!!
Hi and welcome.
I was going to say "Don't do it, stay away. The clap is powerful. It will take over your life. It will send you broke. But it looks like its too late :D
Some great advice given before me so all I will say is have fun with it.
John

DanJ

Full time elf
First year to synchronize here also. I have been encouraged by several people at Planet Christmas & LOR websites to go for it and build as I can, so I will pass on that encouragement to you!! I am starting with just 16 AC channels and six 60 pixel RGB arches, so I am starting somewhat small this year. However, whatever you do will be totally AWESOME. Don't forget that!!! When people see it they will go "wow". It will be interesting to me to see how many people come to see our display. I attended a mini in Mississippi (US) and one of the folks there encouraged me that "if you build it they will come".

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I ran static for may years and decided to upgrade to automation last year. For the twins ;)

So last year I ran 14 LOR CCRs and 12 of the LOR 16 channel controllers. The effect was incredible with hundreds of cars stopping in front of my house every night for the show and people blowing the horn if I am a minute late (some times even before normal start time lol).

This year I am running 24 LOR CCRs, 12 LOR 16 channel boards, 5 J1Sys P12S, and 2 of the 30 channel DC boards Alan sells. CLAP is extremely addictive.

You will never look back with regret and every item you add (especially the props you make yourself) will bring back years of memories.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=640
Some more Vids and Photos under the Media section.