First year show - Struggling to build a shopping cart

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
How many pixels are in that mega tree???

Ummm 800 from memory. Haven't got my spec sheet near me at the moment. I've scrapped it from this years plan though (as much as it hurts). It'll go in next year's show.

Joshaaye

Falcons are in US$ just in case you're not aware.

There is also the pi hat option RPI-28D+ - particularly if you already have a spare raspberry pi or two

Yeah, I just figured if I'm doing 120 for the controller + 80 for the beaglebone. It's only an extra $80 or so for the Falcon, and I figure for "Futureproofing" I know Falcon seem to be best of the best, so seems worth spending that bit extra to get the Falcon. But feel free to tell me if I'm very wrong.

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
Yeah, I just figured if I'm doing 120 for the controller + 80 for the beaglebone. It's only an extra $80 or so for the Falcon, and I figure for "Futureproofing" I know Falcon seem to be best of the best, so seems worth spending that bit extra to get the Falcon. But feel free to tell me if I'm very wrong.
If you run a Falcon it is not a must to have Falcon Player on a Beaglebone (or Pi) as you could just run off Xschedule on a PC or Laptop! I Use Falcon Player, Love it & recommend it but it is an extra learning curve and expense if your on a tight budget plus you can just add it in later easy!

Talk to @AAH he is a legend in my books as he really got things on track for me and took the time to help me troubleshoot when things looked like a hopeless mess! I use only his gear.

Joshaaye

Oh awesome. I have definitely heard good things about @AAH

My current plan was to run my show from either the work pc in the garage, or my laptop.

Reactions: AAH

Joshaaye

Yeah mate :) Been messing around with sequencing since November last year :)

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Oh nice. You are well on your way then. I've just begun looking up tutorial videos and I'm beginning to understand just how much lead time any sequencing show really entails.

Assuming you're using xLights, do you have any tutorials that you found personally very helpful? I'm presently working through xLights Beginner Seminar from Sept 2018.

Nojoy

Full time elf
For power injection, you could look at @AAH Power Distro Boards. Fuses are built in for each PI line and use same screw clamps as the Mk2 Board (though 2 wire). Comes in 4 port or 8 port varieties: http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/power8/ http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/power4-power-distribution/

Inline fuse holders can run @$7 a pop (https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-in-line-weatherproof-mini-blade-fuse-holder_p0047784), so the boards can end up economical @$35 for 8 port if packaged with other items for postage, as well as providing a much cleaner control box install.

Reactions: AAH

Joshaaye

Oh nice. You are well on your way then. I've just begun looking up tutorial videos and I'm beginning to understand just how much lead time any sequencing show really entails.

Assuming you're using xLights, do you have any tutorials that you found personally very helpful? I'm presently working through xLights Beginner Seminar from Sept 2018.

Yeah I tried to get a basic Xlights understanding as soon as possible. (It's the part I was looking forward to the most). I've made a couple basic sequences but most of my sequences this year will all be free ones made available through both the official Xlights facebook group and the unnoficial one, as well as a couple others. I'll probably use some of the previous Xlights around the world ones etc. I'm in the process of making my own intros etc. though.
I found This playlist is really good for everything start to finish. He has a few videos on using Xlights and also has linked some of keiths Xlights videos too.

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
ooh that's not too bad. I was considering This Station and This Heat Gun (Just because it's reasonably cheap and not a potentially dodgy chinese one haha). And then This 3rd Hand @Pavle

I am only a beginner with soldering so best to defer to someone else for more sound advice. Just mentioned the 'cheap' unit as it's working for me.
My two complaints would be the heat gun doesn't get as hot as indicated (reviews mention this also) and I can't find a deflector nozzle that fits - the unit from Bunnings you linked includes this. I just bent up some sheet metal as a little hand held deflector for soldering on props and not burning anything.