First year simple setup with ECG P2 and six 2811 strips...will it work?

marsh28

Apprentice elf
I want to ease into pixels and only plan on using six strips next year to outline the six windows of my house. To save money, I plan on using the ECG P2 controller. My planned setup is as follows:
Computer -> Network Switch (b/c I'll also be running DMX) -> ECG P2 controller (powered by DC Power supply) to........
---> Port 1 -> 350 watt power supply -> 3 strips

----> Port 2 -> 350 watt power supply -> 3 strips.

What are people's thoughts on this setup. Also, what type of power supply should I use for the ECG P2 controller? Thanks a bunch.

marsh28

Apprentice elf
EDIT:
Actually, with the 2811 strips I think I'd have to inject power between each one, right? so the setup would actually be like this....
Port 1- Injection - Strip 1 - Injection - Strip 2 - Injection Strip 3
Port 2- Injection - Strip 1 - Injection - Strip 2 - Injection Strip 3

Benslights

Dedicated elf
marsh you mention you have DMX boards also what are they. as the p2 runs on e1.31 and if you want to run dmx boards also you will need something like a D2 coming off the switch also.the D2 is a e1.31 to dmx converter. besides that everything else looks ok

marsh28

Apprentice elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
marsh you mention you have DMX boards also what are they. as the p2 runs on e1.31 and if you want to run dmx boards also you will need something like a D2 coming off the switch also.the D2 is a e1.31 to dmx converter. besides that everything else looks ok
I plan on buying the D2 along with the P2. Do I have the power injections in the right place? What power supplies should I use to inject power? Thanks a bunch for the quick response

remoteutah

Full time elf
Only thing I would change is to add power to the END of the third strip. This will allow "backfeed" to the third strip... which will help power distribution along that last strip (because you are already doing that with the first 2 strips). Other than that, looks good!

If you are ALREADY running DMX and have a doggle, you will not need a ECG-D2. The D2 acts as a gateway between E1.31 and DMX. Since you are adding a ECG-P2 to drive your WS2811 strips... that part is independent. If you CHOOSE to add a D2, you will not need your DMX doggle. Make sense?

marsh28

Apprentice elf
remoteutah said:
Only thing I would change is to add power to the END of the third strip. This will allow "backfeed" to the third strip... which will help power distribution along that last strip (because you are already doing that with the first 2 strips). Other than that, looks good!

If you are ALREADY running DMX and have a doggle, you will not need a ECG-D2. The D2 acts as a gateway between E1.31 and DMX. Since you are adding a ECG-P2 to drive your WS2811 strips... that part is independent. If you CHOOSE to add a D2, you will not need your DMX doggle. Make sense?

Yeah, that does make sense. I've already got an Enttec Dongle. I didn't realize I could run DMX via a dongle and E1.31 at the same time. So... to do this I guess I simply run DMX via the enttec dongle and E1.31 out of different USB ports, right? If I used the dongle, I also wouldn't need the network switch, correct?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
marsh28 said:
remoteutah said:

Yeah, that does make sense. I've already got an Enttec Dongle. I didn't realize I could run DMX via a dongle and E1.31 at the same time. So... to do this I guess I simply run DMX via the enttec dongle and E1.31 out of different USB ports, right? If I used the dongle, I also wouldn't need the network switch, correct?

If your running just one E1.31 controller then you dont require a switch.

kane

Dedicated elf
marsh28 said:
I didn't realize I could run DMX via a dongle and E1.31 at the same time. So... to do this I guess I simply run DMX via the enttec dongle and E1.31 out of different USB ports, right?

E1.31 runs out of your Ethernet port (rather than USB), so if you change the bold bit above to "E1.31 via my Ethernet port", then the above paragraph is definitely correct.

marsh28 said:
If I used the dongle, I also wouldn't need the network switch, correct?
Yes, but this assumes that you are running a standalone system, with your computer connected to your lights, and not connected to anything else. If you want to connect your computer to another computer (or to an internet router), then you will either need to use a network switch, or if the router has multiple ports, then that would suffice.

(alternatively, if your computer connects to the internet via a wireless connection, then there's no need to have a network switch if you only have one e1.31 device)

battle79

Full time elf
I have no trouble getting my USB -> DMX dongle and the e1.31 output going at the same time, but others have mentioned having issues, so best to test before Dec 1st (earlier the better) to save having to urgently get a D2 if needed.

Regards,
Rowan