FPP - BBB - P10 Matrix Issue

jasp3r

New elf
I have been working to get P10 panels working with my BBB running FPP.
I have taken all the way down to just a single P10 16x32 matrix.
Test run fine and colors are correct but when I try to do a simple sequence from Vixen or Xlights the results are the same
I am trying to display color bars moving from left to right.
When it is displayed on the panel
Rows 1-4 move left
Rows 5-8 move right
Rows 9-12 move left
Rows 13-16 move right

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
panel.PNG

buzzdude

Full time elf
Hi, without seeing your configuration its a bit hard to really know the problem. I have setup a couple of matrixs' and also struggled with outputs displaying incorrectly and each time it was a configuration in my LED Panel setup. If can export out your setup and post it here (or PM me), I can restore it on my panels and see if I get the same issue. Happy then to see if I can nut out the issue for you.

jasp3r

New elf
Buzzdude,

Thanks for offering some help.
here are some photos of my current configuration. Below are configurations from my BBB FPP player and vixen.
I tried both Vixen and xLights with same results.

I also have a Linsn board but I havent messed with it yet but I read it can be used if you get a gigabit USB network card for the pi. This is just one of those things where its so frustrating being so close. :)

BBB1.PNG

Attachments

• BBB2.PNG
    BBB2.PNG
    101.2 KB · Views: 6
  • VixenDisplay.PNG
    VixenDisplay.PNG
    96.4 KB · Views: 6
  • VixenDisplay.PNG
    VixenDisplay.PNG
    96.4 KB · Views: 5
  • VixenPreview.PNG
    VixenPreview.PNG
    135 KB · Views: 4
  • VixenSequence.PNG
    VixenSequence.PNG
    78.7 KB · Views: 4

jasp3r

New elf
here is what the items look like and now it makes sense knowing that every 4 rows move opposite direction.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    58 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    76.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cir.PNG
    cir.PNG
    372 KB · Views: 4
  • spirals.PNG
    spirals.PNG
    293.5 KB · Views: 4

buzzdude

Full time elf
Using your settings, my output (via Xlights) is similar to your images. Only difference in my setup is "Single Panel Size". Set it to "32x16 1/8 Scan" and images work correctly. Try that an let me know.

Thanks
Shane

jasp3r

New elf
I had already tried that but I went ahead and gave it a shot again however the results did not change. Exact same look as before.
Every 4 rows are opposite. I am 99% sure this has something to do with my panels the only problem is there are not very many options to change things up via FPP. When I used a Huidu HD-D35 card I can make them work without issue the only thing is as part of that setup I have to set the Data Group Exchange to Parity Exchange
so 1=2, 2=1, 3=4, 4=3, etc...
Without doing that it looks messed up too.
the config file that came with this is P10W 3216 KH134 4S.rcg which is to be used with the Linsn card.

I just have a feeling this is not going to work with the BBB. The only time it looks close if if I chose Panel Interleave 4 pixel but it still doesnt work correctly.

buzzdude

Full time elf
I had already tried that but I went ahead and gave it a shot again however the results did not change. Exact same look as before.
Every 4 rows are opposite. I am 99% sure this has something to do with my panels the only problem is there are not very many options to change things up via FPP. When I used a Huidu HD-D35 card I can make them work without issue the only thing is as part of that setup I have to set the Data Group Exchange to Parity Exchange
so 1=2, 2=1, 3=4, 4=3, etc...
Without doing that it looks messed up too.
the config file that came with this is P10W 3216 KH134 4S.rcg which is to be used with the Linsn card.

I just have a feeling this is not going to work with the BBB. The only time it looks close if if I chose Panel Interleave 4 pixel but it still doesnt work correctly.
Can you backup you BBB and post it, I'll restore it on my panels and see what happens. I'm only using two outputs on the BBB, but can add an extra strips to make it the same.

I'm playing with another set of panels at the moment.

jasp3r

New elf
Here you go. Hope this helps. Had to rename to .txt from .json in order to upload.

Attachments

• FPP-BBB_all-backup_v4_20211016221649.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 6

buzzdude

Full time elf
Howdy
After restoring your file, I had to change the below
1. Wiring Pinout to "Standard v1.x
2. Single Panel Size 32x16 1\8 Scan

Changing the following in Channel Inputs
1. Enable output ticked
2. Input Count = 48

The LED Panel Layout I altered to suit my setup.

Looking from the front, my panels are number left to right 1, 2, 3, 4
Top to Bottom, Output 4, 3, 2, 1.

From the back, they are Right to Left 1, 2, 3, 4
Top to Bottom, Output 4, 3, 2, 1.

Advanced layout shows them back to front.

1634466396358.png

Or Normal View
(this is how I prefer to view them)

1634466417137.png

After altering those above, I have perfect results shown.

I've attached my json file, to hopefully help you out.

I also used your vixen settings in xlights and they seem correct. Only difference is I have Horizontal, and you have vertical as the direction of the model. (though, it didn't seem to affect anything, if I changed this)

Let me know if this helps.

Shane

Attachments

• FPP-BBB_all-backup_v4_20211017055146.json.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 1

jasp3r

New elf
Ok so first off part of this was my issue I suppose just because I thought top left had to be number 1.
Anyway I flipped my entire panel grid 180 degrees so the layout matches what you listed above.
I restored the json you attached to mine and from what I could tell the only real difference between mine and yours was you added the E1.31 channels and started it at 142035

After the restore and flipping and plugging stuff back in I attempted to just run a pixel test from FPP and nothing turned on which I found odd so I went ahead and just reboot FPP and tried again. This time the test was successful.

I opened up Vixen and redid my test sequence. Removed generic serial for the output, added in E1.31 and started the channel at 142035-166610
but apparently in vixen I cannot start a channel at 142035 it failed adding the 5 so I just updated yours from 142035 to 1 and down the line. The problem is now its all sorts of messed up. The good news is I can just click the preview in Vixen and see the board without uploading the sequence to the FPP so this will make it easier to trouble shoot.

I need to get the boards to fully light up first. I think I have something messed up with the universe and vixen at the moment.
Since I have 16 boards currently that is 16*32 = 512 (x 3) = 1536 per board X 16 = 24,576
so that means on my E1.31 channel inputs I need to have 48 inputs set which I do so last number is 24576 which matches what the LED panel page shows.

In vixen I matched it up exactly.
1634482141133.png
1634482158626.png
Patched them across but when I turn on effect preview it only lights up the top 24 rows and something just isn't right when it does that either.
vertical bars only light up the first 20 rows and they are still doing what it was before every 4 rows.

I am going to mess with this some more to figure out why this isn't even turning on the bottom half and I will report back.

jasp3r

New elf
Ok got that all figured out. LED sign turns on just like it did. Only difference is the panel layout is 180 from what it was. Same results as before however. At this point I am guessing it is something to do with the P10 panels themselves and not compatible with the BBB setup. Kind of sucks since I have 30 of these panels and was hoping to make a 7 wide 4 high board but looks like I am going to need to mess around with the Linsn card and see if I can get it working.

dkulp

Full time elf
Not sure where you are located, but if you can get two panels to me for a few days, I'm 95% certain I can add configuration to FPP to get them to work on a Beagle based panel output.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ok got that all figured out. LED sign turns on just like it did. Only difference is the panel layout is 180 from what it was. Same results as before however. At this point I am guessing it is something to do with the P10 panels themselves and not compatible with the BBB setup. Kind of sucks since I have 30 of these panels and was hoping to make a 7 wide 4 high board but looks like I am going to need to mess around with the Linsn card and see if I can get it working.
Hi Jasp3r,
I surprised no one has asked for a photo of the back of your current panels to look at the wiring setup, can we have a photo(s) of the back, cabling side please.
Typically (old school) way with a BBB is to data cable the panels left to right for each row with four separate outputs used on the bbb.... the issues indicate the panels are wired 1-4 left to right wrapping from 4 to 5 then to 8 with the next two rows being the same.
This is also quite valid if you configure the bbb setup to match.

Here is a photo of a 4 row p10 matrix i have, sort of showing the bbb to panel connections right at the bottom of the photo
P9090177.jpg

jasp3r

New elf
Here you go.

Bottom = 1
Top = 4
Going left to right from backside
Bottom is where power is at as I just laid it down to take the photo
20211018_192725.jpg