FPP hardware play button

nato595

Let's do this!
Is there any way to have a stand alone Raspberry Pi with FPP setup so that I can manually 'play' a sequence or show with a button or some other way? I plan to not have it on a network or WiFi, or attached to a computer.
I'd like to have it on my network to upload the show and do the config, then have it completely stand alone such as in a vehicle, and be able to play a sequence with the push of a hardware button. Also, keep in mind that it will not constantly be powered on, so relying on a clock or timer would not be an option.

Any ideas? If not, any other hardware solutions for playing a sequence manually without a computer or net connection? I've seen the TS-1000 or T-1000S LED controller online, but it just seems so cheap and with no good documentation, and I'd have to rely on a different sequencing software - which I don't want to have to learn another one.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Not sure if this helps, but if it not going to be powered on and you just want it to start a sequence when you turn it on, then just set the sequence to start at 12.00.01 and finish at 12.00.00
It will start as soon as it is turned on and play until it is turned off.
That is what I did this year.
You can buy a clock board for it and then use the gpio pins to setup a switch, but that is something for someone smarter than me.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
You can use a button connected to the Pi's GPIO header to trigger an event in FPP to start a playlist or effect sequence. We have lots of people doing things like this with FPP. On the GPIO input config screen in FPP there is a popup help screen that had details on how to connect up the button.

cscool36

Full time elf
Is there any video on how to setup the event trigger???.
Thanks

CaptainMurdoch said:
You can use a button connected to the Pi's GPIO header to trigger an event in FPP to start a playlist or effect sequence. We have lots of people doing things like this with FPP. On the GPIO input config screen in FPP there is a popup help screen that had details on how to connect up the button.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
There is no video that I know of but it isn't that hard.

There is a sample script in the FPP script repository to start a playlist. You just need to install the script using the script repo browser in FPP and then edit the script using the built in editor to fill in the name of your playlist. Go to the event screen and create a new event to run the script. Then go to the GPIO Input screen and select the GPIO input that your button is assigned to. Assign the event to the falling trigger for the GPIO input and then whenever you press the button the event should fire and run the script. There are a bunch of walk-throughs of this on the falcon site as well, we have a lot of people using or asking about things like this.