FPP Main Controller - Pi or BBB

Mikeynz

New elf
Hi,

with my show expanding in 2022 , I’m looking at the best way to run the show - I’m not sure if I should use a Pi 4+ or the BBB that is connected to my kulp 32 controller - any advice ? As trying to remove extra hardware and sell the un-used products.

Show Setup includes:
Mega Tree - Pixlight 16v2
Matrix - Pixlight 16
P5 Tune / Display sign - Using Pi 3+
Kulp 32controller via BBB

So use the Kulp or a pi 4+

Thanks
Mike

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would think that using it to run the show would be no problem, you would treat it as if you were using a Pi4, it just saves you having to buy one extra piece of expensive hardware. Even your Pi3 could run the show fine.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Pi, every time. BBB's are horribly slow these days because they have not come out with upgraded/faster versions over time.

dkulp

Full time elf
Pi, every time. BBB's are horribly slow these days because they have not come out with upgraded/faster versions over time.

The only places the speed will matter is boot up time and when you hit the "Upgrade" button. Maybe an extra second when you hit the "restart fppd" button on config changes. The gigibit ethernet on the Pi's can help if you are pushing a ton of data, but if using FPP remotes (original poster mentioned two remote capable controller), that's not a big issue as there is much less pushed data.

The BBB is still almost twice the speed of the Pi Zero and Zero W (not the newer W2) which is supported by FPP. FPP doesn't need super fast processors for most things.