Frankenbox

random

New elf
I wanted a decent, cheap PSU for 12V and 5V capable of reasonably high current on 5V for powering LED strings.

ATX PSU is the obvious choice considering I had one spare (besides buying an open frame PSU), but I wanted to house it in a compact, preferably metallic housing. Jaycar had nothing suitable. Bunnings, however, turned up a perfect candidate:

[attachimg=1]

Internal shot:
[attachimg=2]

The binding posts and LED on the front are a warning that all is not as it seems for this letterbox!

Attachments

• IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 106

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
That is definitely the most Random thing I have seen in Christmas lighting. Hope the Postie doesn't fry himself.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A very interesting design, looks very nice. Is that using a letterbox, thats what it looks like. Great work

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
That a great Idea.

A small note That I can not see the Fan Vents . You will need to ensure that it does not thermally shutdown.

Jeff

random

New elf
cheers fellas, a bit random but at 16 bucks from bunnings it was the right price!

I don't plan on leaving it out in the weather, at worst it would be on my balcony well sheltered from the rain.

Jeff - there is a 120mm fan on the underside and I have left about an inch of clearance so there's enough room for ventilation. Like most ATX supplies it exhausts out the back.