Window lights
Pillar lights
Mini tree
Micro trees
Garden lights
Small boxes
Balls
Tree

All RGB and around 2,000 smart pixels not including the matrix.

I set up all the equipment in my double garage and it took me two days to sort all the little issues out. All go back to the one main controller box. Sorry forgot to take pics and video.

My question is how often do the lights die. I ask this because I found they were all working on Sat night then Sun morning I had to replace 7 nodes all of them were either at the start or end of a string between power injection. This does seem suspect. I didn't have anymore fail for the rest of the day but it does concern me.

I tested the power supply with a multimeter and they were all fine supplying between 11.7 and 12.2 volts.

Could this of happened on switch on or just because the pixels were dodgy and haven't been used before? Got them from RayWU

I don't want to be changing pixels on the roof every night during the Xmas season.

Thanks

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
No David it's not although they are the cheap china ones. I am still thinking it could be the PS's. I think I will need to by a few spare and if it happens again with those same PS's then I will need to change them out. Although I wasn't planning on upswing any of the equipment until Xmas.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
That is correct. I do have the +V separate between the strings and just the ground connecting all the way through as per 101.

battle79

Full time elf
Check that you don't have the voltage turned up all the way on your PSUs. If it's too high it could easily be the reason for blowing the first pixel in the run.

I've done it with a PSU that arrived turned up to full. Blew the first pixel on two 5mtr strips before I figured it out. Took about 5-10hrs of use before they gave up.

Regards,
Rowan

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
The power supplies can not be adjusted and I have checked the voltage and as per my fist post they are between 11.7 and 12.2.

Thanks.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It does sound a little odd that you are blowing the first or last pixel at the injection point.

Where are your 240v main cables located, do you have them seperated away from the pixel output data cables.

How are your grounds connected

Also is there anything common between the failed lights, like do they come from the same power supply or the same controller and are these located in the same box.

one thing the 2811/2812b does not like is being connected with power already on as this can damage the chip.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
It is very odd Eddy.

To answer your questions please see in red.

It does sound a little odd that you are blowing the first or last pixel at the injection point.
Where are your 240v main cables located, do you have them separated away from the pixel output data cables. The power is separate except for when entering the string and the strings are on the same Data cables and are located at the end of the chain.

How are your grounds connected? The grounds are connected at the injection point I have added two 2 pin plugs to the string one plug is for the +V and GND and the other plug is for DATA and GND with both grounds connected together. I then have a 2 pin plug on the power supply cable and a 2 pin plug on the output of the string before it that has Data and GND. This is done for every 100 pixels so I can move th estrings around or replace with a spare at short notice. Also each of the two plugs are male/female so I can't plug the power into the data one or vice versa. So output from one string plugs into the next string and the plug from power to the next string. Sorry no pics or diagrams at this stage.

Also is there anything common between the failed lights, like do they come from the same power supply or the same controller and are these located in the same box. Over three different power supplies.

one thing the 2811/2812b does not like is being connected with power already on as this can damage the chip. Now this I am concerned about, I'm not sure why this would matter and how it could damage the chip. But I can say I have done it both ways many many times. So has it been proven to destroy chips? If so then this may be the issue.

Thanks

Geoff

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have lost many a chip in the past from this, what you may have done is weakened the chip by doing this several times to the point where you get premature failiure

It is not good practice to plug and unplug digital lights whilst they are running and this has been proven many times in the past by many members, so the best thing to do is to power down before plugging in and unplugging pixel strings or strip.