G'day from Geelong

JTR

New elf
Hello all,

Well I have been lurking around here for the last week or so. Checking out all the gear and stuff.

I remember when I was a kid. I build a LED chaser with the ubiquitous 4017 Johnstone counter. I had red, orange, green and even a pink led in there. I would turn out the lights and just watch them in the dark. Ode to be a kid again.

Well with blinky flashies you never get to old, you just want more of them. :)

So what brings me here. Well actually I here cause I'm a techie guy into micros USB PICs etc. Some of you may have crossed paths with me on other forums or in my past work with TE (TEC computer before the place got raided by the cops) and Newfound Electronics (WARP-13 PIC programmer).

I sort of found myself in this world when somebody posted a question on the microchip forum and DMX came up. DM what? I thought. So I googled it and thought fair enough could be interesting to play with. So then I starting looking around for equipment etc and came across the Velleman k8062. Didn't buy one after reading about all the problems. Instead I mocked one up and wrote my own firmware for it, plus a receiver and voila! The man has blinky flashies. There are some posts on other forums and in the opendmx wiki about this project but as no one here seems to be using this substandard controller I wont bore you with the details.

So now I have some plans for world domination. Well not really but I have tons of PICs and LEDs and a soldering station. Maybe I will do something for Christmas this year. Got some ws2801 thingies from Sparkfun and hope to wire them up soon. And then there is the old 8x8 led matrix from the good ol' TEC days, just waiting to be loved again.

So anyway, Greetings and stuff. Maybe I can be of use around here or maybe not. Let's see.

-Jim

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Hi Jim

Welcome to ACL. Sounds like you have lots of experience!
If you're interested we're having a get together in Melbourne this weekend with about 30 blinky flashy people - info is in the family room or on the wiki (2011 Mini).

see you around
Tuppet.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Welcome Jim,
you'll find out soon enough that DMX doesn't cut high channel counts,
but instead E1.31 is becoming a popular choice for controllers.

There is plenty of information here to keep you going for ages.

But if you realy want to know whats happening up to date,
Pop into the Chat Room, there's allways someone in there.

Have fun, an we'll see you soon in chat.

Steve22537

Full time elf
Hi Jim,

And welcome to the magical world of blinky flashy thingys. Lots to see, lots to talk about welcome aboard. Drop into chat and catch up with the many characters that makeup ACL.

Steve22537

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Jim
I've actually just updated my old Warp 13 programmer with a PIC Kit 2. Been using my Warp 13 for a loooooong time now.

JTR

New elf
AAH said:
Hi Jim
I've actually just updated my old Warp 13 programmer with a PIC Kit 2. Been using my Warp 13 for a loooooong time now.

That's Ok, I've been using a PICKIT 2 for years now myself. (Just between you and me) ;) And as for the WARP-13, I have two of them right here in front of me. One is wired up as a USB DMX transmitter and the other the receiver. Both have blinky lights and are working flawlessly with Vixen and Freestyler @ "max RPM."

You are all a friendly lot here. Perhaps I should drive up the road to the mini this weekend.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you will find many talented member here always willing to help and looks like we have another one to add that growing number. Feel free to ask questions and pop into the chat and say hello