Getting started.

Junior

Full time elf
Ok, I've ordered some hardware from Alan Hanson. 1,DMX2-18 1, USB-DMX Dongle.

I think I still need a power supply, and Patch leads from Jaycar he reckons. Then to download xlights. Totally new to this, so one controller will do me for now. I live in Ipswich qld, is there anyone near by I can come and see to get some tips? Would love to see it live. This xmas, I want to try to use my existing big w, Bunnings, xmas shack lights. Very nervous atm.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Junior
The ACL101 I spoke to you on the phone is at https://auschristmaslighting.com/attachments/auschristmaslighting_101_manual_rev2d-pdf.5871/
In the ACL101 under Basic Layout Examples there's a DMX connection diagram of sorts.
You'll need a power supply like http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/power-supply-s-400-24/ but potentially a higher voltage.
Hopefully someone who uses the 2 wire 2 channel lights can say what voltage is required.
Jeff does a video that is partially relevant to noobies running with Xlights. Some of it is pixel setup and there's a ramble at the start but he has a bit of a talk about timing and auto sequencing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHjeXB6-U
(The 1st 2 minutes is irrelevant to what you need to learn)

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Hi Junior, I'm using mostly Bunnings type stuff through Alan's DMX boards this year.

I found most elements I had were 31-36volts so got a 36v PSU.

More than happy to assist if I can, its not too hard once you get started.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help.

AAH

Hi Junior, I'm using mostly Bunnings type stuff through Alan's DMX boards this year.

I found most elements I had were 31-36volts so got a 36v PSU.

More than happy to assist if I can, its not too hard once you get started.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Where did you source a 36V supply as that's 1 of the things I keep getting asked about and I couldn't find any locally for less than an arm and a leg?

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Where did you source a 36V supply as that's 1 of the things I keep getting asked about and I couldn't find any locally for less than an arm and a leg?
Just checked!

Sorry I got your 31V Alan, just turned up the + a bit

Does the job perfectly!

Junior

Full time elf
So I could of got this from Alan too?

Can I get this locally? If so, what exactly is it called? The power supply I mean?

The patch Lead or lead patch has baffled me what I use it for. Glad you can do studf with the bunnings light like I have got. Well mostly big W

AAH

Aaaargh. Sadly the 31V power supplies were going to be a couple weeks away when I went to get more stock from China so I didn't order any more.

Junior

Full time elf
Anyone know if I can get them from the a store here?

Junior

Full time elf
Alan put me on to one. Dam wish I seen this post before. It's ordered.