Gidday from the Gold Coast

NeilKellie

Be gentle we're only little!!!
Hey everyone as you can tell by the username it's Neil & my Wife Kellie.

We have decided next year to get in on the Xmas lights displays as we have a new little man in our life and think it will be great for the kid/s as they grow up, also where we live is very dull and dark and we want to encourage a bit more community spirit where we live.

I am an electrician & Instrument fitter (control systems tradesman) by trade and my wife is now a stay at home mum and the creative genius of the two of us, I just get asked (told) to make things work. lol

We have a bold plan to go big this year, now when I say big I mean large in size... to give some idea we live on just under 2 acres with a 70m frontage and the house sits about 60m back from the front with a drive way up the middle. Why I am I sharing this info well I actually need some advise on which direction to head in, I was originally looking into the LOR system but since reading your site I am now thinking maybe not.

I am wanting to know what you guys would think would suit us best...?? We have large areas to cover and we are planning to make large wire framed objects (large wire framed balls 1m+ in size and candy canes about 1.8m tall etc you get the ldea, I was thinking of wrapping the balls in dumb pixels so they can be colour changed etc, we want dancing hoops and verticle light towers that go to a 2-3m diameter star that will be made to look like fireworks. I guess you are starting to see a picture now of what we wish to achieve.

I already have an idea of using small 3channel dmx controllers inside each ball (will be about 12 balls) with the dumb pixels. And using intelligent led strip for the light towers and stars to get the effect we are after and then just using coloured leds for the candy canes on switched out puts.

What I need to know is what program do you think is best to run both output cards and dmx networks and which network to run, LOR, ethernet, etc. I'm thinking I will need up to 1000 channels to start but will expand to 4000+ channels over the next few years.

Any thoughts will be appreciated and tips too

cheers hope to speak soon

Neil

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome50.png

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
NeilKellie,

There are many ways to do this.
Many people here use LSP, LOR Vixen, hls, and other programs. They all have good & bad with them.
A lot will depend on what you want in the over-all display. Most of these will work in the DMX & E1.31 world so you are ok with that part. If you have someone close to you that has been doing this for awhile, then you may find it best to use what they are using, so as to have some very close support. You can also ask these guys about what their thoughts are with the programs they are using & why they use it.
It will all come down to what you will find fits your way of thinking. There is no one golden apple. Each has it's own goods & bads...
Ask, Ask, Ask & after some time you will try one or the other. Some are free down-loads & others let you try it out as a demo...

Good luck & welome to the ACL forum....

drakky

Senior elf
Hi Neil
welcome to ACL, there's a few guys who live on the coast , I had a look at BenGus's setup the week before christmas , he's very informative and willing to show people what he is using maybe you could contact him to get some more info

penguineer

Full time elf
Welcome aboard!

Wow - 1000 channels is a lot of channels to start out with, but it sounds like you have a lot of real estate!

I don't think LOR would be your way ahead, and most of the remaining options are a either DMX or e1.31(DMX over network) and should work together........

Good luck!

NeilKellie

Hey all thanks for the reply's.
Yea we have a bit to figure out and a organise, and yea we have a bit of real estate to cover, should be lots of fun though. We have a lot of ideas and our house doesn't make for a good display because of its location on the block and it doesn't face to the front, so most items will have to be free standing and big but it will be different.
Neil

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Neil & Kellie

Sounds like you already have a fair idea on what you want in lighting.
If you haven't found it yet the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for information.

LOR would be your best bet if you were using 240v lights. Other than that I would consider the DIY route for you.

One of the things that need to be included in your thought process, you have a large amount of distance and area to cover, therefore you are going to need to locate controllers and power supplies out in the yard at various places semi-close to the low voltage light elements due to voltage drop issues. If you need help with voltage questions (sounds like you have that covered) it is in the 101 manual.

As to what controllers and power supplies to use I will defer to the fantastic minds you have around you in southern hemisphere. :)

Also as already suggested, the blinky head "mini's" are a great tool to see and touch for learning this hobby. If you can't wait for the mini, look at the 'Display Locations' (at the top of the page), find some that are close to you and send them emails, many will be glad to give you assistance.

Due to the display size and area to cover you have a lot of work ahead of you for the first year. It will get easier each year after that. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your display. I like displays that are spread out in large areas.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, being an electrician and instrument fitter gives you a good head start as you already know the basic principles of electricty and wiring, im sure you will be able to pull of this first year ambitoius project

NeilKellie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!! We hope to get to chat and maybe meet a few of you in the future. Yea don't know about it being too easy, the wiring bit i'm not concerned about but the coding and programming side of it is a bit of a worry and the sequencing side of it well... i'm not sure my music skills are that crash hot so we'll see. lol
It is getting ambitious yes I've already decided I am going to try a pixel string mega tree straight up, talk about jumping into the deep end but not too worried I will have my ACL floaties on (all you guys) for if I get into trouble which i'm sure I will!!!
Been reading lots and learning lots, all from this great web site right here!! I must say it has been very well put together and has everything you need to know to make it happen!
Cheers
Neil (& Kel)