Giving LOR a test run

Porsche

Full time elf
Im thinking about giving LOR a test run. thing feature that turned me initially to LSP was the macros effects.
Does LOR have a similar effect that can be easily added to a seq?
cheers
Phil

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
As there are very few users who will be familiar with both programs you will need to explain to those of us on the "light side" what is meant by the macros and what you are trying to do with them.

G

GoofyGuy

Do not go to LOR if you are using pixels. Coming from 2 years of LOR, and changing this year to LSP Im not looking back. There are a few aspects in LOR that are worlds easier than LSP. LSP on the other hand, everything else is a cake walk. I dare you to open the LOR demo, setup you controllers, and run a fade from left to right on your house. I dare you, heck with it Im breaking out the double dog dare you. LOR has no way to map pixels yet, Superstar is a good program inside of LOR but lacks the grouping ability of LSP.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you wanted to achieve what you can achieve in LSP with LOR then you will have to become good with using a myriad of addons for LOR that reduce the pain and even with these addons LOR will still lack compared to LSP. See one of the biggest features to LSP is that it maps the phyisical location of your drawing in the visualizer so you can add effects either at an individual, grouped or whole level, no other software in the hobby can do this.

The fact that you are using pixels has given you a new level of complexity, some will struggle with this and other wont but eventually it does come clear for most. Remember this is DIY so some pain will be required to learn, but dont take a short cut now after learning what you have learnt with LSP as you will find that LOR will be a lot more work to manage thse pixels with less control ability.

But take a look at LOR and decide for yourself if it will be the right path for you, but there have been many that have gone from LOR to LSP and basically none that have gone from LSP to LOR when dealing with pixels

AAH

I can do a fade from 1 side of the house with LOR easily, I actually do it from 1 side of the yard to the other. I can group easily too. What I can't do is work out how to do ANYTHING with LSP without having to go to online demos or ask the gurus in chat.
Paraphrasing from what I just read on a recent topic. 1 light sequencer is easy to use. The other is LSP.

WilliamS said:
Do not go to LOR if you are using pixels. Coming from 2 years of LOR, and changing this year to LSP Im not looking back. There are a few aspects in LOR that are worlds easier than LSP. LSP on the other hand, everything else is a cake walk. I dare you to open the LOR demo, setup you controllers, and run a fade from left to right on your house. I dare you, heck with it Im breaking out the double dog dare you. LOR has no way to map pixels yet, Superstar is a good program inside of LOR but lacks the grouping ability of LSP.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
I can do a fade from 1 side of the house with LOR easily, I actually do it from 1 side of the yard to the other. I can group easily too. What I can't do is work out how to do ANYTHING with LSP without having to go to online demos or ask the gurus in chat.
Paraphrasing from what I just read on a recent topic. 1 light sequencer is easy to use. The other is LSP.

WilliamS said:

This is a feature in LSP that most LOR users dont understand because they have never experienced it. Yes you can fade from one side to the other just as i can cut my lawn with nail clippers, the process just takes so much longer and is more difficult because the user needs to work out all the mapping, grouping and timings and with pixels this can be a very tedious task. Superstar cant map to a display either.

What LOR does great is the basics but with pixels the basics are not good enough for efficient sequencing and channel management.

The reason why you struggle with LSP is because you are an LOR user and most LOR users always struggle because LSP is different. Its like me saying that HLS or vixen is no good because i cant use them, its not the softwares fault but rather me not understanding how things operate in that particular software. This would be much more pronounced if I already was a user of other software because I come into using a piece of software with preconceived ideas on how things should be done based on the previous software that I used.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I used LOR with pixels last year and it was very reliable. There are some channel management features in LSP that are good, but that was a moot point with it failing to run reliably (or at all sometimes) for me.

AAH

There seems to be assumptions from the LSP users who have never used LOR S3 and Superstar. With Superstar it is absolutely dead simple to do fades across single elements or the whole display. Not only can you do fades but they can be colour fades, twinkling fades etc.
Unless I am quite wrong ɟɐsʇǝppʎ, ѕυρєямαη, LithgowLights and most of the big LSP pixel users have never used LOR S3. Myself, DavidAVD, Oldmanfathertime1000 and a number of others own and have used LSP but have chosen to use LOR due to reliability and ease of use. As I have said n any number of posts if you are using thousands of pixels then just about the only choice is LSP as LOR doesn't have the tools for handling them. The biggest lack is actually the drawing of the elements. Actually using them is easy.
Latest rant done :)

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
AAH said:

WilliamS said:

This is a feature in LSP that most LOR users dont understand because they have never experienced it. Yes you can fade from one side to the other just as i can cut my lawn with nail clippers, the process just takes so much longer and is more difficult because the user needs to work out all the mapping, grouping and timings and with pixels this can be a very tedious task. Superstar cant map to a display either.

What LOR does great is the basics but with pixels the basics are not good enough for efficient sequencing and channel management.

The reason why you struggle with LSP is because you are an LOR user and most LOR users always struggle because LSP is different. Its like me saying that HLS or vixen is no good because i cant use them, its not the softwares fault but rather me not understanding how things operate in that particular software. This would be much more pronounced if I already was a user of other software because I come into using a piece of software with preconceived ideas on how things should be done based on the previous software that I used.

Bird

LOR user
Phil .. so what effects are you trying to create with the LSP macros?

And my two cents worth on the pros and cons.
Look at the forum posts .. both LSP & LOR.
See how many posts about crashes, bugs, problems, etc. for each software.
That should help you "if you are also trying to decide which to use."

Porsche

Full time elf
Points taken above. I had a bit of a play with LOR and seems easy to use. Ive read all the post on forums etc and come to the conclusion I may stick with LSP. I suppose from what ive seen is that LOR is a bit easier to use and LSP has a bit better capibilites with larger amounts of pixels.
I just got cranky the other night with LSP because I knew I had everything hooked up right, but for whatever reason today Ive been running my set up all day, testing, running seq's and it hasnt missed a beat.
its taken me a while to learn bits and pieces of LSP it would be ashame to change now I suppose.

Thanks for all your comments above and I appreciate your advice and input.